Cream Ale Fizzy Yellow Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got around to brewing this. On Sunday of the Masters weekend, hence the name....Masterful Blonde!

10 Gallons

10 # Vienna
6 # Pilz
2 # Pale 2-row
1/2 # Carapilz

1 oz. Perle (60)
1 oz. tettnang (45)
1 oz. tettnang (20)
1 oz Saaz (5)
1 oz Saaz (0)

Irish Moss...

US 05 @ 64* F

Note: Mashed for 75 min at 150. Boiled 60 min. Post boil OG 1.046. I rapidly chilled to 68, stirred with drill and sanitized paint stirrer, and pitched dry yeast. Placed in chest freezer with temp control at 64. Bubbled like mad within 12 hrs. A week later I dropped the temp to 63 and will let it finish for a total of 21 days. (Looking for 1.006 ish)

I'll let you know the results....

Yooper - question for you. How do you think this would turn out using Nottingham instead of US-05? I have some of each on hand, I'm just curious what you think.

I've been looking at this recipe for a while now and I think I am going to brew it sometime late this spring or early summer. It looks like a really nice, tastey, simple beer.

Fermentation temp dropped to 55 degrees for a couple day, very early during fermentation. Am I safe? I'm planning on fermenting for 3 weeks just to be safe.

Fermentation temp dropped to 55 degrees for a couple day, very early during fermentation. Am I safe? I'm planning on fermenting for 3 weeks just to be safe.

What yeast are you using? Any more specific time in fermentation than "very early"? Are you able to check gravity? If so, where did the beer start and where is it now?

I'm using US-05 yeast. The temp dropped the day after pitching and stayed at 55 for 24-48 hours. I haven't taken a gravity reading since the recipe calls for a two week fermentation and I'm only 10 days in. Original Gravity was 1.050.

Yooper - question for you. How do you think this would turn out using Nottingham instead of US-05? I have some of each on hand, I'm just curious what you think.

I've been looking at this recipe for a while now and I think I am going to brew it sometime late this spring or early summer. It looks like a really nice, tastey, simple beer.

I haven't used nottingham in quite a few years, since the big 'contamination' issue a while back.. I think it would be great at a cool temperature, from what I remember of it!

What yeast are you using? At what point in fermentation? Are you able to check gravity? If so, where did the beer start and where is it now?

I'm using US-05 yeast. The temp dropped the day after pitching and stayed at 55 for 24-48 hours. I haven't taken a gravity reading since the recipe calls for a two week fermentation and I'm only 10 days in. Original Gravity was 1.050.

I've never had 05 that low, but chances are it's fine since it happened early - the yeast probably just got a really late start on fermentation. If they made it through the low temps, they'll like that the temp is now higher. What is the temp at now?

Outside of a gravity reading, the only other thing to check is signs of fermentation. Have you seen signs of fermentation since the temp came back up? Can you keep ramping up the temp? That can help the yeast finish fermentation and clean up at the end.

I have had great results with 05 at that temp, but it takes a little extra time. Ramping up to 70 for a couple days will cure all if there is anything needing cured.

You're fine! 05's ideal range is 59 to 71F. Bump it up a bit. I ferment most 05 brews around 63.

I've used Notty with this beer. I think it turned out well. I fermented a bit high so the finish had a bit of a tart quality. I think it would be great if you kept it in the low 60s... nice and clean.

I've used Notty with this beer. I think it turned out well. I fermented a bit high so the finish had a bit of a tart quality. I think it would be great if you kept it in the low 60s... nice and clean.

I always ferment in my basement which is usually between 63°-65° for most of the year. So I'm not too worried about temp range for fermenting.

Yooper - one last question that just popped in my head. What efficiency do you get from your set-up? I have a 3 kettle set-up and only do fly sparging. I typically get between 70-75% brewhouse efficiency and I was trying to figure out if I need to adjust the grain bill to hit that OG. Thanks.

I always ferment in my basement which is usually between 63°-65° for most of the year. So I'm not too worried about temp range for fermenting.

Yooper - one last question that just popped in my head. What efficiency do you get from your set-up? I have a 3 kettle set-up and only do fly sparging. I typically get between 70-75% brewhouse efficiency and I was trying to figure out if I need to adjust the grain bill to hit that OG. Thanks.

No, i'm pretty sure that I was getting 70% when I wrote this recipe, but even now I get around 75% with my new system so you're right in there.

You're fine! 05's ideal range is 59 to 71F. Bump it up a bit. I ferment most 05 brews around 63.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I finally got the two stage temp controller and mini heater hooked up, so this should no longer be an issue. Everything is nice and stable at 62, per Yooper's recipe.

I popped the lid on the fermentation bucket around 4 days after pitching, and there was active fermentation. I guess I was more concerned that I would have incomplete fermentation due to the temperature drop.

After a two week fermentation period, I am thinking of increasing the temp to upper 60's for a few days, in hopes of a better clean-up by the yeast. Any thoughts on this?

I usually bump the temp up to 67-68 after 10 days for 3-4 days. Then drop to 34 for a few days.

Yooper, or anyone else-----

My beer reached 1.010 at 14 days. Sample tasted pretty decent, then cold crashed for two days, then kegged. I tasted some yesterday (it's only been under pressure for two days but I could not resist) and it tasted very watery and not too flavorful.

I usually primary for around 4 weeks. I was impatient and rushed this one because the sample tasted good and Yooper says her original came out at 1.010 and ended up nice. Hopefully conditioning for a couple of weeks will fix this. I usually use gelatin with lighter beers also. Should I just leave it in keezer, hooked up to gas and let it condition or set out the kegs at room temp (70-75) to see if it "finishes" more?

I know, I've got the patience of a 14 year old with a girlie magazine, but darn it I really want this beer to turn out great!

Anyway, thanks for the help and thank you Yooper for another great recipe!

Yooper, or anyone else-----

My beer reached 1.010 at 14 days. Sample tasted pretty decent, then cold crashed for two days, then kegged. I tasted some yesterday (it's only been under pressure for two days but I could not resist) and it tasted very watery and not too flavorful.

I usually primary for around 4 weeks. I was impatient and rushed this one because the sample tasted good and Yooper says her original came out at 1.010 and ended up nice. Hopefully conditioning for a couple of weeks will fix this. I usually use gelatin with lighter beers also. Should I just leave it in keezer, hooked up to gas and let it condition or set out the kegs at room temp (70-75) to see if it "finishes" more?

I know, I've got the patience of a 14 year old with a girlie magazine, but darn it I really want this beer to turn out great!

Anyway, thanks for the help and thank you Yooper for another great recipe!

Hmmm, I'm not sure why it's not 'flavorful', but the mouthfeel will definitely improve with carbonation.

I don't age my beers long at room temperature, so I can't say what that would do for it but I can't imagine it would improve it.

Thanks Yooper! I'll be patient and let it carb up and age for couple of weeks.

This looks like a great brew. I'm just starting out and have been looking for something to make. I made some wine out of some sweet grapes I found at my grocery store. don't know how well it'll turn out but will know once she's ready and aged.

can someone help me with this if I wanted to make 1 gallon of this how much of each ingredients would I need

Has anyone also made Centennial Blonde and can provide a comparison review. It is a regular around here and I am wondering if an upgrade is in order?

Tom

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I brewed it yesterday as a partial mash, the sample tasted very nice. Can't wait till this one is ready to drink!

Can anyone describe the difference between this and Centennial Blonde?

Tom

This was one of 8 beers I brewed for my wedding, and the first to kick. I'm going to need to another batch soon - thanks Yooper!

Last week I brewed Yooper's original grain bill for Fizzy Yellow Beer. Brewed up much darker than expected- SRM 7 or so. Any thoughts as to what happened?

Last week I brewed Yooper's original grain bill for Fizzy Yellow Beer. Brewed up much darker than expected- SRM 7 or so. Any thoughts as to what happened?

same thing happened to me the first time... I changed my water by adding campden, calcium chloride, and lactic acid... fixed it. My water wasn't 'right' for lighter beers. Might be your problem too?

Just an update on this recipe. I brewed it as a partial mash and it is delicious, my wife has asked if it can be in permanent rotation!
Thanks again for posting this Yooper!

finished%20beer_zpsoc21t4kr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hey all, I was thinking about using Mt Hood hops that I got for free in this recipe. Would it suit?

Back