Fizzy bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viejo

Reaction score
I have a recurring problem with bottle conditioned beer. 4-6 weeks after bottling, the carbonation is perfect, yet another month or so, and it starts getting waaay too fizzy. I don't have a way to chill that much beer at (I brew 6.5 gal batches every 3 or 4 weeks), and my cellar temp is hovering around 73 F most of the time. I have been waiting an extra week or more to make sure the hydrometer reading is stable before bottling, but that doesn't seem to matter.

Any thoughts (aside from giving up bottling and going to kegging)?

Maybe your using to much priming sugar. I would cut it back a little next time. What do you use and how much?

I measure exactly the amount spec'd by Beersmith for 2.3 volumes. Most of the time I use priming sugar, but I've experimented with a volumetric equivalent of maple syrup. I wonder if maple syrup takes that much longer to attenuate? It's perfect at 6 weeks, but overcarbed at 10-12 weeks.

I haven't used syrup, but I do know that honey takes longer to be eaten than other sugar sources. I don't know the science behind it, but in my mind real maple syrup would have a similar attribute.

I think that's the problem. To test it, I cracked open an IPA that I bottled 8 months ago using priming sugar, and it was perfectly carbonated.

I have a batch of ESB that I split evenly and carbonated with corn sugar and DME. That was 6 weeks ago. I'm going to store a few of each and see how they compare in a couple more months.

I have had the same issue and I decided that I just don't like much over 2 volumes in my system. If I try to carbonate true to style I get foam overs at 3-4 months. I set everything to carb to 2 volumes or less depending on style and all is good now. It is also important to account for temperature, if you are keeping your beer nice and cool up to bottling it will retain more dissolved CO2.

I like your idea of carb'ing at lower volumes, but some of my beers are perfect at 2.3. A bit of a dilemma.

I know I have a temperature issue. My cellar only gets down to 73 F in the summer with the AC off in the house. I am working on getting an extra fridge that I can rig with a temp controller, then I'll be able to ferment at decent temps and chill my stock.

Latest posts

Back