Fizzy beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southbound1

Reaction score
I made my fourth batch recently, an American Pale Ale, and diligently followed the brewing directions and hops schedule. I brewed on Feb 14 and bottled on Feb 29. I don't have gravity numbers in front of me but they were correct to the recipe. We finally tried one last night. It came out slightly citrusy and fizzy, as if it is over-carbonated with lots of very fine and very active bubbles. She liked it, I don't. I think something is wrong. What do you think it is and what if anything can be done? Thanks!

My experience with fizzy beer was from rushing a couple
brews. Fermenatation was not complete. Close enough
that I didn't have bottle bombs but not finished.

Had to be ready to pour immediately after opening or had a gusher
and lost half the bottle.

Your time line sounds reasonable. Depending on temperature and
how much yeast you pitched.
Did you check your fg a few days apart?
How much priming sugar did you use?

How long did you leave the beer in the fridge before trying? If you don't refrigerate to allow the CO2 to absorb into the beer then you get a huge head on pouring and then it vanishes quickly.

BJCP said:
Flavor: Usually a moderate to high hop flavor, often showing a citrusy American hop character (although other hop varieties may be used).

Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body. Carbonation moderate to high. Overall smooth finish without astringency often associated with high hopping rates.

It should be pretty carbonated.

How much priming sugar did you use and how many bottles did you get out of the batch?

Back