Fixing my mash tun pvc?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalbrewer

Reaction score
I currently have a mash tun I'm using the stainless toilet house method but don't like it much. I want to swap it out with a PVC system but I'm not sure what kind of pipe to use. I don't want to release toxins from the pipe or anything bad like that. What do I need to know when choosing the pipe???

use cpvc. pvc is not heat-resistant and can be toxic under continued heat, and will break down. cpvc is designed for heat, and works great. i had a cpvc manifold in my tun cooler for a year or so

lumpher said:
use cpvc. pvc is not heat-resistant and can be toxic under continued heat, and will break down. cpvc is designed for heat, and works great. i had a cpvc manifold in my tun cooler for a year or so

I've heard of cpvc but can't find it anywhere. Ive seen a pipe that said 100 or1000psi @180 I think it's used for house water would that work?

day_trippr said:
So, there are no Lowes or Home Depots in San Diego?

Cheers!

Yes I checked but they don't carry cpvc but I did find some other pipe today at home depot. That is used for residential plumbing that has a rating of 100psi@180 degrees which I just found out cpvc is rated at so that should work. I just need to go back when the wife is not nagging me haha.

Yes I checked but they don't carry cpvc but I did find some other pipe today at home depot. That is used for residential plumbing that has a rating of 100psi@180 degrees which I just found out cpvc is rated at so that should work. I just need to go back when the wife is not nagging me haha.

Weird. Both the Home Depot and Lowes nearest me are loaded with CPVC pipe and fittings. Must be a Left Coast thing ;)

Cheers!

You were looking at CPVC if it had a 180*F temperature rating. Every HD or Lowes carries CPVC. It's a common item. You can easily spot it by its off white color, but do check the printing on the pipe to verify. Regular PVC is normally pure white or very nearly so. The color of CPVC is similar to the color of the border on this here page you are looking at.

day_trippr said:
Weird. Both the Home Depot and Lowes nearest me are loaded with CPVC pipe and fittings. Must be a Left Coast thing ;)

Cheers!

Yeah I guess, I asked the guy and he said they don't carry cpvc that maybe a plumbing store. But as long as I read the pipe and it saids 180*F rating I should be good
Thanks u to everyone who help

Maybe CPVC contains a chemical known by California to cause cancer. Doesn't affect the other 49 states, but you never know.

Back