Fixing my bottle bomb issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter679

Reaction score
So real quick, made an IPA after a month and 2 stages of fermentation there was no activity. I bottled, a week or so ago, yesterday KABOOM! Bottle bomb, I immediately put them in the fridge... I just read this:
If you know or suspect that a batch has been overcarbonated, treat it carefully. Open each bottle carefully, wearing gloves and eye protection, and allow the excess gas to escape. You can then recap the bottles, or pour the beer back into the bottling bucket, allow it to become flat (and complete fermentation if necessary), reprime, and rebottle.

So I'm figuring that somehow the fermentation was restarted when I bottled. Knowing the beer is possibly fermenting, and I refridged it.. can I unbottle, and stick it back in a bucket to let the gas out, without ruining the beer? Or could I freeze it then let it thaw (I know brew dog does this make their beer super strong, not that that's what I was going for). then let it release, referment and then rebottle in a month?

I'm reaching I know, but I don't have any idea what to do at this point.

Thanks
Pete

Get a hydrometer. If you bottle a stuck or incomplete fermentation, things tend to explode

LOL Funny thing, this is the 1st time I didn't use a hyrdrometer :( mine went MIA and I just went by the bubbler..

I refrigerated my beer, do you think letting it flatten out or freezing it and thawing to referment will work?

Anyone?

P

You could just open the caps let the excess gas out and recap them. I had to do it once and it worked for me. I am not an expert in the matter but I just cracked all the caps, let them chill out on the counter for a few hours with the caps still loosely on, then sanitized some new caps and recapped them. You could hear the caps letting gas out as they were lifting off the bottles every now and then. I basically vented them until I was sure there was no more excess gas.

My buddy said, when he opened the one beer I gave him it was like champagne.. So I'll try but I just don't know if it's going to work. Maybe I can put it back in a bucket and then let it ferment again.. not sure what to do.

-P

Pop the caps and let them sit out at room temp with the caps resting loosely. Leave them for 3-4 hours trust me on the time. I've done it twice and it works. Make sure they're cold first though because opening a warm overcarbonated beer is just asking for a mess. I would also advise doing this in some sort of bin because if you do get a foam snake out the bottle it's contained.

Thanks everyone.. I put 1 iin the freezer for 30mins then popped the top and there was no explosive result. So I poured it in a glass and man it was all head!!!! so hopefully fri/sat I'll freeze pop and let them stand then reseal them after 3-4 hours.

Thanks everyone..

Pete

Latest posts

Back