Fixing an oops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryoko

Reaction score
Hi again all,

I did 2 biab brews with the same recipe. The first went just fine, except for the typical learning experiences. For the second I had a tough time keeping it at a good boil. To compound that I also used a new homemade wort chiller, and added it to the boil 15 min before it was done to sterilize it. That prevented me from noticing that I had 6 gallons at the end instead of 5. I assumed the extra was due to displacement from the chiller.

I used the yeast cake from the first brew for this one, and only after I added the wort to the yeast cake did realize the extra gallon. So at that point there was no going back.

So I have a bit lower og than I intended and I'm sure it will taste a bit lighter. Any recommendations or just send it through its paces and see how it turns out. I'm toying with adding some fruit to the secondary to counter the dilution, though that would be better if it was an ale instead of a lager. It is a clone of Yuengling so a light beer that in this case could probably benefit from a carton of Blueberrys once it hits secondary.

Anyway always like advice from those with much more experience than me.

-Ry

I don't think I would do anything to it at all.

Can you provide me with the OG from the first batch (5 gallons) and the second batch (6 gallons)?

I am pretty sure you could reboil it after fermentation, then add some more yeast before bottling. Dont forget you will lose volume with the sediments at the bottom!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Boiling after fermentation to remove a gallon of water will also remove the alcohol since it has a lower boiling point than water, as well as changing the flavor by boiling off any finishing hop contributions. I'd just let it ride.

Your right i was looking it up. Around 70C and water is 100C. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That prevented me from noticing that I had 6 gallons at the end instead of 5. I assumed the extra was due to displacement from the chiller.

I used the yeast cake from the first brew for this one, and only after I added the wort to the yeast cake did realize the extra gallon. So at that point there was no going back.

So I have a bit lower og than I intended and I'm sure it will taste a bit lighter. Any recommendations or just send it through its paces and see how it turns out. I'm toying with adding some fruit to the secondary to counter the dilution, though that would be better if it was an ale instead of a lager. It is a clone of Yuengling so a light beer that in this case could probably benefit from a carton of Blueberrys once it hits secondary.

If you're measuring 6 exact gallons in your fermenter AND you poured on top of the entire yeastcake, then you're probably looking closer to a 5.5 gallon batch. I generally have about 2 quarts of yeastcake left behind and that's with very little beer on top.

A nice, full-strength golden/light-amber lager is what you were aiming for. I wouldn't muddle it up with fruit, but that's just my opinion. Worst case scenario is you end up with a lighter-weight golden lager - sounds tasty and easy-drinking to me ;) (it's a guzzler)

Ohhhhh... and boiling beer after fermentation..... YUCK!!!!

Thanks guys,

I did forget about the yeast cake volume so it is not as bad as I thought. First batch had an og of 1.042 This one was either 1.036 or 1.038 (My notes are at home).

You can add sugar to knock up the alcohol content, but that will do nothing for flavor. You could also boil some malt extract and add it. You may add some additional hops in dry hopping to give it additional flavor, and from what I understand (although I've never done it) you can also dry hop specialty grains.

I don't think the extra gallon warrants doing a lot extra, if anything. If it were me I'd either let it ride or add a wee bit of sugar. The rest seems to be a lot of effort for a marginal difference.

Best way to fix this oops is too just drink the finished product then try again.

[...] Ohhhhh... and boiling beer after fermentation..... YUCK!!!!

Yeah, that is totally disgusting! :D

As said before adding some dissolved DME (highly concentrated wort) to your fermentor to make up for the lost 24-36 points (4-6 points low x 6.0 gallons) is a good possibility.

Add 0.55-0.82 lb of DME (@44 points per pound) to bring your beer up to 1.042. See calculator below:
Gravity Adjustments

This would be the equivalent of a quart of wort at a gravity of 1.096-1.144 (depending on compensating for being 4 to 6 points short) and gets you close. Use DME, don't try to mash that, although you could...

Back