Fix it or leave it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewhandy

Reaction score
I just brewed my 4th batch today—supposed to be an all-grain Bavarian Hefe. My first all-grain batch and well... Here’s what happened:
-I ordered milled grain from Amazon but it looked ok as far as I could tell. Wheat and pilsner.
-I adjusted the recipe down to 4 gallons because I only have a 4 gallon pot. However, I did not adjust for BIAB. <—Mistake 1?
-I used 3 gallons of water at 152F for 1 hour then rose to 170F for 10. All in the 4 gal pot (I know it’s too small but I thought it would work.
-I attempted a sparge with a colander holding my bag and some 170F water to fill as high as possible. Ended up with over 3 gal in the pot.
-boiled 1 hour (hops at 60), cooled. (Looked and smelled good)
-I aerated the wort by pouring back and forth like I have done before
-I added water (probably 1 gal) to make 4 gallons without first checking the OG <—mistake 2 and 3.
-finally checked OG and it was 1.030 (target was 1.050)
-panic, shock, disgust
-I added my yeast starter (made yesterday) and put at 68F.
Now what?

Option 1: I didn’t have the time and energy to fix it today but I could tomorrow. My idea is using 0.56 lbs LME ( I have Munich on hand) to make up the 20 points (wow). Boil in water, cool, combine with fermenting batch and hope for the best.

Option 2: Let it go and hope I get 3% ABV for a light session beer.

Advice would be appreciated.
*I checked and it’s bubbling already 3 hours in.

Attachments

• DD9A64AC-5BC6-40E3-8BE7-90395F8161DA.jpeg
    DD9A64AC-5BC6-40E3-8BE7-90395F8161DA.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
It would depend if you like session beers. But remember, your hop schedule is set up for 50 points. I would also check your math, I calculate you would need around 2 pounds of LME to make up 20 points in 4 gallons. Did you mean 0.56 pounds per gallon?

It would depend if you like session beers. But remember, your hop schedule is set up for 50 points. I would also check your math, I calculate you would need around 2 pounds of LME to make up 20 points in 4 gallons. Did you mean 0.56 pounds per gallon?
You are correct I forgot that’s per gallon. Darn that seems like a lot to add. It’s already fermenting like crazy after 6 hours of pitching. I used .8 oz. of Tettnang so I’m hoping if I leave it it will be ok as far as taste goes. Oh, and I can’t say I’ve ever had a session beer haha.

Leave it alone and see what results. It might be a nice surprise and since you seem to have the notes on everything, you stand a chance of duplicating it.

You stand more of a chance ruining it by messing with it. And messing later to correct anything you might have messed up will likely not result in the exact true to flavor and beer type you were going for.

So why bother? It'll still be beer.

How did the hydro sample to check OG taste? ( always taste sample) You might want to brew a bigger Hefe ASAP to blend with this one.
I had tasted it earlier before cooling/topping with water, but I don’t recall tasting from hydro sample. It tasted good at the time. I don’t think I could get another hefe together very quickly—I’m in Hawai’i and at the mercy of Amazon. Maybe by next weekend maybe not. I do have 2.2 lbs of Munich LME on hand.

My light Bavarian Hefe session beer. One month later I wanted to give an update on this beer I made. It came out at 2.7 ABV but the taste is really good. I gave it normal carbonation when I bottled 2 weeks ago. It has the citrus flavors from the wheat yeast and if anything, I could handle more bitterness and/or hop flavor (I loved the spice aroma of the Tettnang when I opened the package.). Yesterday evening I went to a party with a sixpack. Drank some, shared some, and drove home, IMHO, legally. Doing the math I had less than 2 Budweisers in my system over a 3 hour period. Feedback was good, especially from the non-beer drinkers. It was a retirement party and it was even a little champagny. Brew on!

My light Bavarian Hefe session beer. One month later I wanted to give an update on this beer I made. It came out at 2.7 ABV but the taste is really good. I gave it normal carbonation when I bottled 2 weeks ago. It has the citrus flavors from the wheat yeast and if anything, I could handle more bitterness and/or hop flavor (I loved the spice aroma of the Tettnang when I opened the package.). Yesterday evening I went to a party with a sixpack. Drank some, shared some, and drove home, IMHO, legally. Doing the math I had less than 2 Budweisers in my system over a 3 hour period. Feedback was good, especially from the non-beer drinkers. It was a retirement party and it was even a little champagny. Brew on!
Bitterness and strong hop flavor are not really qualities you want in a Hefeweizen.

At least you made beer, and you seem to like it!

I ordered milled grain from Amazon but it looked ok as far as I could tell. Wheat and pilsner.
That doesn't look OK to me. Judging by your picture, it's barely crushed.
Although you didn't tell us how much grain you used in your brew (mash), your low OG undoubtedly was related to that poor crush.

I'd look for a better grain source and/or a grain mill. Those knock-off Corona corn mills go for around $25 and can be adjusted to mill grain perfectly suitable for BIAB brewing.

Back