Five Star DeFoamer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Defoamer is really defoamer. Heck I don't even know if the stuff I got from my lhbs is even really Fermcap-s...it's a genric brown bottle like they all are, with a plain black and white label, not fancy logo or anything. For all I know my lhbs buys it bulk, fills their own little bottles with eydropper and sticks a plain label on it.

But it works fine.

Don't stress about the particular brand. Heck it comes from 5-star, so it can't be bad.

Defoamer is really defoamer. Heck I don't even know if the stuff I got from my lhbs is even really Fermcap-s...it's a genric brown bottle like they all are, with a plain black and white label, not fancy logo or anything. For all I know my lhbs buys it bulk, fills their own little bottles with eydropper and sticks a plain label on it.

But it works fine.

Don't stress about the particular brand. Heck it comes from 5-star, so it can't be bad.

Cool thanks Revvy!! Just wanted to be sure!

Seems a bit pricey ( $2.99 for .75oz ). Northern Brewer has Fermcap-S for $1.99 per oz. but if you are already ordering from Austin, might as well get it there.

I'm sure it's all the same stuff.

But it will last forever. I've used mine for years and there's still plenty left.

I bought a bottle (of Fermcap-S) a few months ago and it had a "Use By: Sept 2010" stamp on the label. They were not kidding; I checked it two weeks ago and it was like rubber cement after setting up. Like you said, it was in a brown bottle, plain LHBS label, with an eyedropper...looks like a thick fine chalk slurry. Apparently mine has something more perishable since it expires so quickly. Fortunately, the latest bottle has an "Oct 2011" date. At my current brew rate, I won't have a problem using the bottle! :D

Latest posts

Back