Fittings for SS Brewtech fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, the 14gal has a pressure relief valve in the lid. Doesn't the blow off fitting bung just come out? Maybe I'm not following.

Todd

It seems like the ftss uses a flat lid instead of the domed lid. I'm guessing that the flat lid gives up some pressure handling capability that enables co2 transfer

Ah, didn't realize it came with it's own lid. Guess it would have to. My bad.

Todd

OK...I finally have all my stuff in. I got a pair of 14 gallons and went with wheels, butterfly valves and the racking arm from morebeer.

Attached is a picture that shows how I solved my "crowded" problem.
Since I'm on wheels, I can easily move the fermenter around and get to the dump valve or racking arm. I'm going to try it out that way. Having them both point forward was very tight.
I have the butterfly valve at an angle away from horizontal. If I have the handle horizontal....I can't close the valve unless I rotate the 90 elbow away from perpendicular to the legs (or do what I did). Again...tight fit. The pull handle version of the butterfly valve may be shorter (worth a look).

I also played with having the butterfly valve mounted pointing straight down (losing the 90 elbow), but that seems like it would make the bottom of the valve very hard to clean. I may try this at a later date.
I had a little problem with one of the racking arms. One of the arms fit perfectly in both of my conicals. The other bumped into the cone of both of them. I ended up having to trim about half an inch off of the arm. I didn't get too much into looking at lengths or angles, but I imagine it was some combination of the two.

The other trick I did was....I got some extra STC probes off of digikey and "permanently" mounted one in each of my thermowells. They fit in the thermowell with the SSbrewtech thermometer at the same time.
I terminated the STC probe with a RJ45 and mounted a RJ45 coupler to one of the legs of each fermenter. So...as I move fermenters in and out of their respective cooling chambers, I don't have anything to do but plug one RJ45 in.

racking arm and butterfly.jpg

A follow up question to those with the racking arm (from morebeer). I put the hard white gasket between the arm and the conical. Anyone tried keg lube on that joint? Could you lube the clamp to make it turn better?
Also...it seems odd that they didn't include another hard gasket to allow easier rotation of the valve fitting.

I don't think it needs any lubricant as the white ones are made for that type of rotation. I got a couple extra white ones and was thinking that I would use it for the sample valve as well since it rotates when you move the racking arm.

View attachment 251211

I hook up my c02 line on top and out from the rack port into filters when I wish, then to the kegs. I really don't like the seal on this fermenter, it holds very little pressure before it leaks out the seal making for very very slow transfers..... Perhaps it just mine, not sure.

I'd think your filters add back pressure. You also probably slow down as you jumper from keg to keg. Where does the gas port on that last keg go?

Back