Fisrt brew question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orion7144

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch (a lhbs American lager http://www.listermann.com/Store/Details.asp?ID=971) this past Monday. The initial OG was around 1.044 although not real easy to read since I tried using my hydrometer in the wine thief. Started bubbling just after 24hrs and stopped sometime Friday night. Last night (sat) I took a gravity reading and it was around 1.004 (again used the wine thief) and added the dry hop pellets. Is this an ok time frame? I did not taste it but it smelled like beer. I plan on leaving it in the primary till at least next weekend when I have my keezer done and I can stick it in a corny and cold crash it before I pressurize it with co2. Or would it be better to cold crash with CO2?

Thanks

I would leave it in the primary for a total of three weeks (to let the yeast clean up after themselves and to let the beer clear). That is what I do but I dont know if that would be an ideal time for the hops though....someone else might chime in on that. I also tried taking a gravity readings in my thief and found it a pain in the *ss so i bought a graduated cylinder.

Eric

You are on the correct path.

For me I do a combo of all these processes.

First I ferment out, then cold crash in the fermenter to low 30s F, rack to keg, add a gelatin treatment for any non dark beer, do a co2 bleed for 30 seconds, pressurize and wait, or jack up the pressure and wait less, reduce to serving pressure, serve. First few ounces will have all the gelatin and gunk.

I find no need to go longer than 7 to 10 days in the primary, but I am fermenting at the optimum temp for the yeast.

Does that help?

Helps a lot. I have been at a pretty solid 69-70F during the fermentation. And how long do you cold crash for?

You are on the correct path.

For me I do a combo of all these processes.

First I ferment out, then cold crash in the fermenter to low 30s F, rack to keg, add a gelatin treatment for any non dark beer, do a co2 bleed for 30 seconds, pressurize and wait, or jack up the pressure and wait less, reduce to serving pressure, serve. First few ounces will have all the gelatin and gunk.

I find no need to go longer than 7 to 10 days in the primary, but I am fermenting at the optimum temp for the yeast.

Does that help?

I cold crash for at least a day but have for 1 week plus when the process gets interrupted by travel. My personal thought is at least 48 hours is best. I do 35 F.

How is this going now?

I cold crash for at least a day but have for 1 week plus when the process gets interrupted by travel. My personal thought is at least 48 hours is best. I do 35 F.

How is this going now?

Still one more day for the dry hops. Probably stick it in the keg on Wed.

How is this going now?

Do you cold crash with or without CO2 in the keg?

You can cold crash with the keg on CO2 no big deal. I have done it. Just make sure that you re calculate your CO2 setting pressure for the correct carb volume you want. As you get colder the beer will absorb CO2 better, so if you leave you regulator at the same pressure you have it for non cold crashing you will end up with some over carbed beer....

That's the only gotcha I can think of.

OK so i got an SG reading of 1.029 before the yeast went in is that a bad or good reading, i also use 2 kg of corn sugar in stead of 1 kg to try to boost the Alc% up would that have caused the 1.029 reading? Using Cooper Canadian Blonde kit

You can cold crash with the keg on CO2 no big deal. I have done it. Just make sure that you re calculate your CO2 setting pressure for the correct carb volume you want. As you get colder the beer will absorb CO2 better, so if you leave you regulator at the same pressure you have it for non cold crashing you will end up with some over carbed beer....

That's the only gotcha I can think of.

Thanks Just finished brewing my 2nd batch.

Ill probably cold crash at 15-20psi for a couple days then reduce it to serving psi

Ill probably cold crash at 15-20psi for a couple days then reduce it to serving psi

If you search on here a bit there are some good threads on what pressure to keep for how long during a cold crash. I do not recall the exact data but people have done some pretty high pressures for a couple days and claim to come out 80% or 90% carbonated. You may take a look at that as reference.

Happy brewing.

OK so i got an SG reading of 1.029 before the yeast went in is that a bad or good reading, i also use 2 kg of corn sugar in stead of 1 kg to try to boost the Alc% up would that have caused the 1.029 reading? Using Cooper Canadian Blonde kit

I would need to see the recipe to give you a good or bad call. I see you were using a kit do you have a link to it I can read? It is hard to give input without knowing the specifics of the recipe.

brewmastercontrols said:
I would need to see the recipe to give you a good or bad call. I see you were using a kit do you have a link to it I can read? It is hard to give input without knowing the specifics of the recipe.

Here is the specifics. Safale US-05 Beer Yeast, Muntons 500g Light Spraymalt 1.75kg malted 2-row hop and barley hope this helps

Back