Fishing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love looking at all these great pictures. I haven't been fishing in years, not since moving to the states.

Used to fish quite a bit when I lived in Australia.

The daily newspaper in Cairns QLD has a bragging board each day. (Cairns Post) Always a great read.

This is from quite a few years back in Darwin Harbour. A Black Jewfish. Absolutely scrumdiddlyumptous. Very tired in this picture. Took quite a bit of time and effort to get it in the boat. Great day as is usually the case with fishing.

ry=400.jpeg

Haven't been back fishing in a couple years, since I can barely walk these days. I need a broke-back buggy for getting down those long piers on Lake Erie, or around the large reservoirs we have around here. Take out the motor, dewind the armature a couple turns, shunt the motor brushes, cut down the commutator...then it'll be the fastest broke-back buggy on the pier!

Made my first trip to Cumberland this year last week, it was a good one. We limited out almost every day on stripes and picked up some nice cats along the way too. The freezer is officially stocked for the year and it's only May, think I need to get a bigger cooler for the boat though.

photo3_zpsff21d4ba.jpg

photo5_zps50579f49.jpg

A019C1F2-9612-4E25-888B-12F218AAE9DB_zpsw3uk2g2r.jpg

1479BF1B-6A54-4C89-862E-CA3BD813CDB4_zpsfyxb1bug.jpg

2673C758-73C7-42A8-A14D-0A843C8A0433_zpsu8bj4qig.jpg

D651D387-72DA-4A4C-9656-C8CE203B9C31_zps0e13u3so.jpg

Can you/should you make gravlax with stripes?

I doubt it, striper has white flaky meat kind of like cod or halibut although the flavor is much more pronounced. To me the best smoked and/or cured fish is more akin to the more oily meat like salmon or mackerel... Although I have had some really good smoked trout, never had it cured though.

And cheers Creamy by the way, it's been a while. :mug:

I took the day off today and went inland trout fishing on my favorite stream. They stock browns, and there's a bunch of natural reproduction brookies in it. I caught about 15 fish, and 5 were brook trout. Totally made my day. :D
Also had a young fox checking me out shortly after I got to the creek.

Now that's living. Where abouts are you there. It looks so lush and verdant. Great shots, especially the fox. Fantastic!

Can't wait to get some walleye this weekend up at our lake place. I fished on the opener for a couple of hours, but had the flu so I didn't hit it too hard. Felt just good enough to cast some white X-Rap 10's for pike and bass. If you've never tried it, I highly recommend it. Works best in the spring when the water temps are in the low/mid 50's. Cast it, jerk it, pause a few seconds, jerk it again, pike bumps it from the side, wait 3-4 seconds, SLAM!! Had 10 or 11 this way, all released to swim another day.

Switching this weekend to some minnow jigging in mornings and slip bobber w/ leech in the evenings for Ol' Marble Eye. Going to try jigging some new Moxie plastic curly tails as well. Bluegills and crappie should provide easy action for the kids off the dock too.

Some pics from years past.

8.25lb walleye Fall 2012 2.jpg

2008 opener 29 inch Walleye 2.jpg

of=50,590,391-42.jpg

970836_536110876442909_1867465233_n.jpg

Now that's living. Where abouts are you there. It looks so lush and verdant. Great shots, especially the fox. Fantastic!

That was the east koy creek. It's in western New York about an hour away from where I live. That particular section of creek is my favorite. About a half mile section that I try to fish a few times every year.

That's some big 'gills! We've gone to an upland reservoir about 20 miles south of here. Got gills up to 1 1/4lbs! Nice bass too. Wife caught a 5 pounder, I was surprised that she fought him right into the bucket!

Can't wait to get some walleye this weekend up at our lake place. I fished on the opener for a couple of hours, but had the flu so I didn't hit it too hard. Felt just good enough to cast some white X-Rap 10's for pike and bass. If you've never tried it, I highly recommend it. Works best in the spring when the water temps are in the low/mid 50's. Cast it, jerk it, pause a few seconds, jerk it again, pike bumps it from the side, wait 3-4 seconds, SLAM!! Had 10 or 11 this way, all released to swim another day.

Switching this weekend to some minnow jigging in mornings and slip bobber w/ leech in the evenings for Ol' Marble Eye. Going to try jigging some new Moxie plastic curly tails as well. Bluegills and crappie should provide easy action for the kids off the dock too.

Some pics from years past.

Wow! Love that last one. Even has meteor trail in the upper right corner. Beautiful looking fish. Blissful looking days

Just saw this thread. I'm an avid fisherman.

Heading out this weekend to do some crappie (crop-ie not crappy) fishing :)

I live on the West end of Lake Erie so hitting up Lake Erie.

We destroy the walleye on a regular basis so if any of you homebrewers want to join me sometime I have a boat and know where the fish usually are.

Heading to Yoopers neck of the woods next week though from brook and rainbow trout. Possible coho salmon on Lake Superior as well.

If you cut the throat, above the heart and stick the walleye in a cooler with water and ice to bleed out, they taste better and keep better. Once they bleed out (they do thrash for a few minutes!), transfer them to your regular cooler on ice.
I love fried Walleye, they are not much for fighting (not like a smallie or a SteelHead), but they sure are good eating.

Northern pike (in 'Murica) or some hybrid variant I'd surmise. I'm sure Yoop's familiar with the native species around her neck of the woods. Some darn good eats too if you can get all the bones out.

Northern pike (in 'Murica) or some hybrid variant I'd surmise. I'm sure Yoop's familiar with the native species around her neck of the woods. Some darn good eats too if you can get all the bones out.

Yah, looks like what we'd call a Northern Pike. If you get out all the Y bones, they are great eating!

yep, northern pike are abundant here in Finland.
If you filet em just right, you get really nice, if small, filets for panfrying.

They are my favorite fish for pickling- better than pickled herring, even!

Usually, the minimum size is 24" for most lakes, and that is exactly the same fish for 1 quart of pickled pike. I love the stuff, but my husband doesn't go for it as much as I do. Whenever I get a small northern, though, I pickle it.

pikes don't have a limit here, though practically everyone throws the ones under 1kg back.
trout you should throw back under 50cm.

I really like pike both fried or as a milk based fish-soup.

I think Northerns taste something like Crappie. That naturally seasoned sort of flavor quality. We have length limits anywhere around here. Something around 2 feet as I remember...

Last year the department of fishing said that people should NOT catch and release northern pike in saimaa, since there just is too many.
The only protected fish are salmon&trout, but then we do have a bit less population than michigan to fish em up and most people live south of me :D

Usually, the minimum size is 24" for most lakes, and that is exactly the same fish for 1 quart of pickled pike. I love the stuff, but my husband doesn't go for it as much as I do. Whenever I get a small northern, though, I pickle it.

Pickling recipe/instructions? :D

Better than pickled herring?!? That's saying a lot! I've never canned/pickled meat/fish before, but this "better than herring" comment has me wanting to give it a try. Mind sharing the recipe Yoop? And have you ever tried it with muskie?
Regards, GF.

Better than pickled herring?!? That's saying a lot! I've never canned/pickled meat/fish before, but this "better than herring" comment has me wanting to give it a try. Mind sharing the recipe Yoop? And have you ever tried it with muskie?
Regards, GF.

My guess is that muskie would be the same. In michigan we're only allowed to keep one muskie per year. They have muskie tags now. It's mainly catch and release.

Regards, GF.

I've never tried it with muskie- in order to keep a muskie, they have to be at least 42", and you can only keep one per year. I don't eat fish that big so I don't keep any muskie at all. They are more for catching for fun, or for mounting if you get a big one.

Anyway, I will dig out the pickled herring recipe later today once my grandkids go home.

We had fresh fried perch last night, and the littlest one (20 months) ate more then me and my husband combined! He kept saying, "more swish!" (fish).

I've never tried it with muskie- in order to keep a muskie, they have to be at least 42", and you can only keep one per year. I don't eat fish that big so I don't keep any muskie at all. They are more for catching for fun, or for mounting if you get a big one.

Anyway, I will dig out the pickled herring recipe later today once my grandkids go home.

We had fresh fried perch last night, and the littlest one (20 months) ate more then me and my husband combined! He kept saying, "more swish!" (fish).

I'll be up on Friday but I don't think that Muskie season opens until the following Saturday. I'm looking forward to some pan fried brookies!

soon the netting season starts, we aren't allowed to set nets until the new saimaa seal babies are big enough to not get harmed by them, then we'll get to perch filet practice again :rockin: my record was 120 perch in an hour and a half.

soon the netting season starts, we aren't allowed to set nets until the new saimaa seal babies are big enough to not get harmed by them, then we'll get to perch filet practice again :rockin: my record was 120 perch in an hour and a half.

Are you netting for subsistence or for a commercial fishery? I looked up a map view of the area you hail from (as I had never heard the name before); you have a lot of separate bodies of water to go fish in, the whole area looks more water than land.

just for food.
Fun fact, that's mostly all 1 lake...Finlands biggest lake.

leadImage

The saimaa ringed seal is only found here and very endangered and protected. we have to use special seal safe nets and fishtraps and no netting is allowed during late spring/early summer.

Nice looking seal there! And regarding pike, I think most of the world record pike are caught in Europe. Germany mostly?

We had a great weekend of fishing, all day Sunday especially with the front arriving as we went to bed that night. Walleyes, pike, bass, pannies, you name it. My wife was on fire. Hand her a rod with anything on it and she was catching fish. I think she had a great time. Other notables were our neighbor girl who is 12 caught her first walleye, and it was off our dock. And my 8 year old caught a dandy 13.5" crappie off the dock as well.

We're heading back this weekend, but I assume the fishing won't be quite as good.

I'm packing up the muskie gear right after work. Thanks Yooper for the heads up on the open season. I live by Lake St. Clair and I never realized that their regulations are different than the rest of the state. Hoping to get a nice one to get a nice photo of!

It's sure going to be a riot casting the big lures from the 12ft plastic jon boat.

I just bought my girlfriend a rod (Fleuger) and went out Monday. She caught some great sized Crappie. I didn't catch much going for bass. I think they're bedding down. Oh well, a bad day fishing is a good day drinking.

I usually go out every evening I can manage. I'd like to do some deep see fishing this summer.

Latest posts

Back