First Year harvest. Yes, another thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boodlemania

Reaction score
Planted two cascade and two hallertau rhizomes this past spring.

I've gotten 9 oz (dried) so far from the cascade, nothing from the hallertau. Frankly, I wasn't expecting anything the first year, so the 9oz. I consider a bonus. The hops themselves were mostly small, say the size of large cherries. Some were quite large, but they were in the minority for sure.

As some have stated here, I too didn't prune anything. Next year, I will.

What is the general consensus for 2nd year yield versus first? I realize there'll be alot of variability here. Just curious how mature the plants must be before they really start turning out the cones.

I believe it will depend on variety and location for second year. None of my plants produced the first year (last year) this year I am on the third harvest of chinnook and there looks to be a fourth larger harvest. However the only other plant that produced is the fuggles, which only had one harvest of appx. 1 oz. The Mt hood, Cascade and Goldings did not produce at all, I also had a bad infestation of grasshoppers, they don't seem to like Chinooks?

Generally, the 2nd harvest is about 1.5-3 times first year, then year 3 on is full potential of the plant assuming proper care. You had a good yield for a year one plant. Don't worry about the others, they will kick ass next year. My cascade plant yielded 3 OZ dry last year (year one) and looks like it will break my trellis this year...hoping for at least 1.5 lbs dry.

Back