First year cascade gone wild

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krown

Reaction score
Hello all,

I planted a small hop plant 6 weeks ago that I purchased from an hop farm. It was 6'' tall and came in a container half the size of a beer can. I planted it in a 20 gallon recycling container filled with a mix of potting soil, compost, perlite and vermiculite.

I left the country for 3 weeks and only had the time to start training it on a temporary twine (5 feet high). At that time it had 7-8 bines only, with 4 way bigger than the others. As per the farm recommandation I had planned to keep all the bines to establish a good root system for the first year.

I was worried to see if it survived the heat wave that had just ended in Montreal but it did more than that - it turned into a MONSTER! (My friend that watered it will get plenty of homebrews). My question is the following: I had initially planned to train all the bines around a 15 ft twine (thats the maximum height I can reach on my apartment balcony). It already has 3 bines 8 ft long, a few 4-5 ft and a TON of smaller one that are growing in all directions.

Seeing that it as already grown so much I will use 2 twines instead and train the bines that I keep around them. Would you keep all the bines or go for a first year harvest knowing that its growing so much? How many bines would you keep, which one would you cut?

Thanks!!
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

Wow, it does look great! In my first year I let everything grow, although the growth was less than what you have, since I had read that helps promote important first year root system development.

Sounds good, I will keep all the bines. Anyway I heard that first year hop flowers contain less oils so I will focus on roots development!

How many twine would you use? Two? I feel that there is going to be too many leaves shading the one underneath.

Cascade is quite resilient my first year is 15 ft tall give or take a little and have quite a few hops I really didn't expect it to take off like it did from everything I read about first year hops.
IMG_20180712_190644394.jpg
IMG_20180713_195053642.jpg
IMG_20180713_195027983_HDR.jpg

How many twine would you use? Two? I feel that there is going to be too many leaves shading the one underneath.

I only used a couple in year one since that was enough for the growth I had, but would have used more if I could.

Back