First wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruizer8

Reaction score
I just bottled my first wine from a kit. It was a blackcurrant white Merlot from Orchard Breeze. I screwed up while starting it but it ended up coming out pretty good anyway. It came with a blackcurrant sweetening blend and instead of putting it in secondary like I was suppose to, I put it in the primary with the juice concentrate.

I ended up with an SG of 1.082 when I was expecting it to be about 1.055. I ended up letting it sit in secondary for a month instead of the two weeks it said to and it got down to a final gravity of 0.991. I was worried that it would have taken away from some of the sweetness but to me it still tastes pretty sweet.

Moral of the story: read ALL directions before doing anything.

Gratz on bottling your first wine. It is pretty exciting when you come out with something you like your first go around. You planning another batch yet? Want to do another kit or wing your own?

I think I am gonna try the same kit again this fall except do as the directions say. That way I can compare the two and see what it was supposed to taste like.

Back