First Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jetsona

Reaction score
Brewed my first wheat with WPL 320 brewed between 66 and 70 DF. THe web states WPL 320 likes 67 df and above. 11 Days later it is gassing off twice a minute. Have not checked the FG.

Patience is a virtue. I am not trying to set any speed records. My ales sit in the primary for 3.5 to 4 weeks. My second ale was bottled 6 weeks ago and I have had one.

If you let ales to sit in the primary for 3.5 to 4 weeks to clean up after themselves how long to you want a wheat to sit? how long on the bottle?

THe REV is correct. First batch had a twang at 3 weeks that was unbelievable. At 2.5 months the twang is there but its much more drinkable. Lets see what 6 months brings.

You're correct that patience is a virtue, but I think 3.5 to 4 weeks might be a little longer than you want for an ale. Just today I was listening to the Basic Brewing podcast, an episode from March 30, 2006 called "Too Much!". Gary Glass, the director of the AHA covered the question of too much time in the primary. He said that 2 weeks is about what you want. I remember hearing a similar thing from Dave Logsdon of Wyeast. I think that was the October 27, 2005 episode, but it could have also been one of the two episodes following that.

I found this thread where some people talk about their fermentation times of hefes:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/what-has-been-your-hefeweizen-fermentation-time-19087/

I hope all this helps.

One person using WPL 320 said it took 20 to 25 days to ferment out, Another using WPL 300 had the same results.

Thanks for the link.

Latest posts

Back