First try on a Belgian, need a quick advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GQT

Reaction score
Never brewed a Belg before.

Planning to take Randy Mosher's Three-Nipple Tripel recipe (from Radical Brewing) as the basis:
10 lb Pilsener
2 lb Munich
2 lb brown sugar
I'm planning to use WY 1214 yeast for this beer.

Now, questions are,
a) I want to pour in some oatmeal and wheat flakes. Talk me out of that if you think it can spoil the beer! If you think it can't - please tell me how much of those I can/should add. Note please, it is flakes in both occasions, not oat grain and not wheat malt.
b) I don't feel lazy to make a kilo of candi sugar inverting table cane sugar and treating it with some NaOH and to use it instead of brown sugar; so please also either talk me out of it or tell me that I'm right!

Right after putting it into fermenter I'm going to leave for a trip so the beer will sit on yeast for about a month. I normally wouldn't worry much about it but not sure how it is when it comes to Belgians. In fact I think, let it sit for a month on yeast, then I return from the trip and dump some yeast from the conical, then let it sit there for another month or even two. Does it sound too risky to you or I am on my more or less right way?
______

OK, and another question, this time just about 'regular' ales.
I have two identical basic APA all grain kits, and what I thought was brewing them together (kettle size allows for that no problem) and fermenting them separately, one using US-05 and another using Nottingham. I just have these two dry yeasts at hand and want to make some use of them before they expire. So, how is APA fermenting with Notty? - these are very simple basic kits, nothing much to expect from, but still lovely and drinkable if fermented with 05. Do you think Notty would do OK with APA?

Thanks for your help guys.

For the "tripel", the recipe isn't going to make anything like most tripels you have tasted.
Typical tripel grain bill is around 80% pilsner malt, 5% aromatic, and 15% sugar. Granulated table sugar is fine and what most use.
Munich will make it too malty, brown sugar will definitely make the beer different- slightly molasses-y and brown sugary. Flaked oats and and wheat are out of place, but a small amount, 4-8oz, flaked wheat would help with head retention.

For the "tripel", the recipe isn't going to make anything like most tripels you have tasted (...)
Flaked oats and and wheat are out of place, but a small amount, 4-8oz, flaked wheat would help with head retention.
Yeah, this is one of the reasons I wanted to give this particular recipe a try. Making just another tripel, well, yeah, but why not make it a bit off track, so I thought, and then bang! - I saw this Mosher's recipe, and decided, Here it is!
OK, thank you - you saved me from spending an hour making candi :)
Wheat for head retention - well noted, good point, thanks! So I discard oats and leave a little wheat.
What about time in fermenter?

Don't use the brown sugar. Just use plain white sugar for a tripel.

You can add some wheat for head retention.

Back