First try at a Belgian IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltymirv

Reaction score
My first crack at a Belgian IPA. I'm mostly looking to ensure that the hops/yeast don't clash. The yeast is peppery, spicy, citrusy and I tried to complement that with the hops. I also want to keep the alcohol around 6%, I don't like drinking 8%+ beers.

OG 1.057
FG 1.008
ABV 6.6

IBU 102 according to Beersmith but probably more like 60?

Grain

5lbs Chateau Pale Ale
5lb Continental Pilsner
1lb Flaked Oats
.5lb Caravienne
.5lb Aromatic

Hops

.5oz Warrior 60 min
1oz Saaz (2%) 30 min
1oz Saaz 10 min
2oz each Mosaic/Galaxy Whirlpool 30 min (BS giving ~70 IBU here)
2oz Saaz Dry hop
2oz each Mosaic/Galaxy Dry hop

Mash

148F for 30 min
Infuse to 158 for 30 min

Yeast

Wyeast 3711

Water

Bru N Water Pale Ale

Looks like an excellent recipe. I am not a mosaic fan, but I'm guessing that you are, which is what counts. An interesting variation might be to add a little brett to part of the batch at bottling.

Looks like an excellent recipe. I am not a mosaic fan, but I'm guessing that you are, which is what counts. An interesting variation might be to add a little brett to part of the batch at bottling.

Brett would be fun! Could you do without priming sugar for the brett bottles and just let them munch on dextrines? I'd be afraid of under/overprimed botles depending on the composition of the beer

I wouldn't change the amount of priming sugar more than 25%. Your FG looks pretty low.

You're probably right. 3711 is ferocious, I wouldn't be surprised if the FG went even lower...

A lot of people like to boil for 90 mins when using Pilsner Malt. You can start the hop additions at the 60 like you have it. Otherwise I think everything looks good.

A lot of people like to boil for 90 mins when using Pilsner Malt. You can start the hop additions at the 60 like you have it. Otherwise I think everything looks good.

Thanks, I think this recipe is a keeper. I might drop the warrior addition, the whirlpool should give enough bitterness.

As far as the boil time, I've done both 60 and 90 minute boils and never gotten DMS. Nowadays I just do 60 minute, sometimes 30 minute for basic ales

Thanks, I think this recipe is a keeper. I might drop the warrior addition, the whirlpool should give enough bitterness.

As far as the boil time, I've done both 60 and 90 minute boils and never gotten DMS. Nowadays I just do 60 minute, sometimes 30 minute for basic ales

When you say drop the warrior, will you just replace it with saaz? I think having the 60min bittering hop is important. There is a whole tread about a guy who didn't use 60 min hop additions and his IPA's not turning out.

I could move the 30 minute Saaz addition up to 60. What was the problem with no 60 minute addition? Not enough bitterness?

Back