First timer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IcaBrew

Reaction score
I have been told many times over that one of the most important steps is sanatizing. I will be staring my first batch in the next couple of days as soon as my new kit arrives. I'm just looking for the best techniques to make sure everything is good to go. How long should I soak everything? What about the brew kettle itself? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to start my first batch!

It depends on what kind of sanitizer you are using. If you are using StarSan, only a 30 second contact time is necessary to sanitize. If you are using Iodophor, I think it's 2 minutes to sanitize. Bleach needs at least 5 minutes I think.

Don't worry about the boil pot. Anything living in there will be sterilized once the water starts boiling. Just make sure there is no rust or dirt inside.

Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress.

You need to clean with PBW and rinse and then sanitize anything that touches the beer after the boil with Starsan. You do not rinse off the Starsan.

Latest posts

Back