First Timer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtrink

Reaction score
Okay so today was my first brewing day! I'm kinda just feeling out the home brewing stuff so I'm just starting with a 1 gallon setup. My problem is I'm not seeing a lot of activity after pitching the yeast? I had the yeast refrigerated until I put it in my sanitizer tub about 1.5 hours before I pitched it in the carboy. Was it not activated enough? Everything else went pretty normal I think. I siphoned the wort into the carboy at about 64 degrees. It's been 2 hours and I'm not seeing much activity. Been lurking around the forums and it seems like a great place for learning! Thanks for any help!

Dry yeast or liquid yeast ? Since you did not rehydrate or do a starter it will take a lot longer. I recommend in the future that you rehydrate a dry yeast and do a starter for liquid yeasts.

sachsebrewer said:
Dry yeast or liquid yeast ? Since you did not rehydrate or do a starter it will take a lot longer. I recommend in the future that you rehydrate a dry yeast and do a starter for liquid yeasts.

Yes it was a dry yeast... And thanks for the tip!

Haha! I love first-brew-freakouts. Everyone does it, and 99.9% of people have their beer turn out fine.

You'll probably post another thread in 2 weeks worried that your beer has an infection...and we'll all be here to talk you down off the ledge ;)

Happy Brewing! What style of beer are you brewing? My 1st was an Irish Dry Stout.

mrphillips said:
Haha! I love first-brew-freakouts. Everyone does it, and 99.9% of people have their beer turn out fine. You'll probably post another thread in 2 weeks worried that your beer has an infection...and we'll all be here to talk you down off the ledge ;) Happy Brewing! What style of beer are you brewing? My 1st was an Irish Dry Stout.

Haha thanks! It was a lot of fun for sure! I'm brewing the Honey Porter from Northern Brewer! The house smells great after boiling the wort! I'm kind of a perfectionist and a very analytically driven person so I didn't know if I did something incorrect. This looks like an awesome hobby to get into though!

As you learn more about brewing beer, you'll find that there is more to learn about brewing beer. It really is a great hobby and has rewards too, neatly packaged in bottles or kegs.

I see that you chilled the wort properly before pitching. Now do you have a way to cool it even more? I prefer to ferment for the first few days in the low 60's since that keeps the yeast from running away and making off flavors. My space to ferment in is usually 62 degrees and the beer rarely gets above 64 as the yeast give off heat.

As you learn more about brewing beer, you'll find that there is more to learn about brewing beer. It really is a great hobby and has rewards too, neatly packaged in bottles or kegs.

I see that you chilled the wort properly before pitching. Now do you have a way to cool it even more? I prefer to ferment for the first few days in the low 60's since that keeps the yeast from running away and making off flavors. My space to ferment in is usually 62 degrees and the beer rarely gets above 64 as the yeast give off heat.

I live in PA and my apartment hasn't risen above 71 yet. I also don't have the heat on. It should be between 60-68 in my closet. As it gets colder without the heat on I should be able to brew more consistently in the lower 60s. Better get some sweatshirts! :)

I love hobbies where there is growth to learn!

Latest posts

Back