First timer in making apple cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bootney2019

Reaction score
We started September 17 2023 now it's October 8th fermentation stopped about a week back
forgot to take a Hydrometer reading. How do I know what strength the cider is???
Need advice on what to do next
11.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Welcome aboard!
I've only made a little cider, and I don't think I can write a guide on it. In your place I would search for a good book on cider basics. You might find similar online resources. If you know what kinds of apples you used, you might be able to approximate the ABV, but I would be more concerned with flavor.

Siphon 3 containers of cider off the sediment/yeast to 2 jugs (you want minimal headspace) and let it clear some more. If you are frugal, you can re-use that yeast in the next batch.
Taste the cider and if it tastes good, go ahead and drink it now. However, letting it age somewhat might help the flavor. Don't be afraid to blend your cider with other beverages like beer, or add a spoonful of frozen concentrate juice to a glass of cider to add some sweetness.

Without an initial SG and current reading, there is no way to measure abv. However, typical Apple juice if fermentation to dry usually is about a 6.5% abv. Some types might have more sugar, but unless you added sugar, I doubt it was above 9%.

Latest posts

Back