First timer. Do I have all supplies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Fusion

Reaction score
I am planning on starting my first batches of cider this weekend. I picked up 3 gallons of the Whole Foods Organic juice in glass carboys, 1 can organic FAJC, Nottingham ale yeast, pectic enzyme and nutrients.

Airlocks
Rubber stoppers
Funnel
Hydrometer
Their
Auto siphon
5' tubbing
StarSan
2 Home Depot buckets/lids (plan to store stars an in these, never a brew. that ok??)

Batch plans
1. Pectic enzyme & nothing else
2. Pectic enzyme, nutriants
3. Pectic enzyme, nutriants, 4oz FAJC

Should any of my batches recipes be changed? I have read a lot around adding nutriants and it seems everyone's opinion differs so I am pretty unclear if 1 & 2 will actually have any difference.

Looks like you have everything you need. Don't forget the bottles. Cider must is low in FAN, so some nutrient blend is a necessity. Once you get a few under your belt you may want to explore the use of tannin to add body and an acid test kit to determine total acid content. You can then add acid (lactic is the smoothest for cider I have found) to brighten it up. Good luck.

You should pick up a bottling wand or tubing clamp. Otherwise bottling day will be messy. Neither one is big expense

Porterpounder, should I add the nutriants to each batch? I'm looking for a semi sweet around 5-7%. I have a PH meter would that work to test with?

Phug, I would really like to keg them, but for these first batches I might try bottles before I jump into forced carb, I didn't want to but that might be a good idea. Or could I bottle these small batches in growlers?

Also the more I read maybe I shouldn't do the FAJC with primary.

Porterpounder, should I add the nutriants to each batch? I'm looking for a semi sweet around 5-7%. I have a PH meter would that work to test with?

Phug, I would really like to keg them, but for these first batches I might try bottles before I jump into forced carb, I didn't want to but that might be a good idea. Or could I bottle these small batches in growlers?

If you want them carbonated, then growlers are a no-no. If you want it still, then go for it

I do ant carb. Guess it's time to read up on bottling....

I am adding pectic enzyme 24 hours before I pitch.

I returned the Homer buckets and picked up a couple 5 gallon white food safe ones. I plan to use them to store my starsan in and maybe use as brew buckets for 4gallon batches.

You will need a bottling wand http://www.austinhomebrew.com/Beer/Bottling-Accessories/Bottle-Filler-3-8-in.html bottling bucket and a capper with some caps. Rack your cider onto the sugar solution in the bottling bucket. This makes for a uniform absorption of the sugar into your cider. I generally boil 500ml of water, then add 4-4.5oz of corn sugar and dissolve. I then cool it down to the temp of your beer and pour into the bucket. It takes at least 2 weeks for carbonation.

If you go with flip top bottles (like Grolsch uses) then you won't need the capper and caps.

You will need a bottling wand http://www.austinhomebrew.com/Beer/Bottling-Accessories/Bottle-Filler-3-8-in.html bottling bucket and a capper with some caps. Rack your cider onto the sugar solution in the bottling bucket. This makes for a uniform absorption of the sugar into your cider. I generally boil 500ml of water, then add 4-4.5oz of corn sugar and dissolve. I then cool it down to the temp of your beer and pour into the bucket. It takes at least 2 weeks for carbonation.

If you go with flip top bottles (like Grolsch uses) then you won't need the capper and caps.
Awesom! So helpful thank you!

I'm waiting for all my starsan dipped stuff to dry right now.

I'm waiting for all my starsan dipped stuff to dry right now. Looks my solution come out to 2.44 PH. So hopefully I get a few uses out of this batch.

Sorry for double post I can't figure out how to delete it

You will end up with a little bit of yeast sediment in the bottle of your bottles. So just pour slow to avoid stirring up the sediment and clouding up your cider. Also, put your bottles in the fridge at least 24 hours before drinking. This helps the C02 get back into solution and less chance of gushers when opening the bottle. Sample one at one week to see how the carbonation is going.

You will end up with a little bit of yeast sediment in the bottle of your bottles. So just pour slow to avoid stirring up the sediment and clouding up your cider. Also, put your bottles in the fridge at least 24 hours before drinking. This helps the C02 get back into solution and less chance of gushers when opening the bottle. Sample one at one week to see how the carbonation is going.

Will do. I'm going to bottle hunt now. Any recommendations on who's to use? Looks like emptys are just about as much as a case after shipping so I will just reuse some and get free beer out of it!

Will do. I'm going to bottle hunt now. Any recommendations on who's to use? Looks like emptys are just about as much as a case after shipping so I will just reuse some and get free beer out of it!

I am not sure what you have locally available to you. Just make sure that they are solid bottles (brown is best, green 2nd best). I used a couple cases of Grolsch for my cider as the wife doesn't drink a lot at a time.

I bottle my beer in one liter bottles. Less work and works fine with the consumption.

I am not sure what you have locally available to you. Just make sure that they are solid bottles (brown is best, green 2nd best). I used a couple cases of Grolsch for my cider as the wife doesn't drink a lot at a time.

I bottle my beer in one liter bottles. Less work and works fine with the consumption.

I live in Portland Oregon.... Literally any beer can be found here. I read a few threads sounds like people have had good luck with Samual Adams.

I live in Portland Oregon.... Literally any beer can be found here. I read a few threads sounds like people have had good luck with Samual Adams.

I've got some bombers you can have, and I'll let you use my capper if you need.
Shoot me a PM and I'll get them to you.

Sounds like you're on track. As for waiting for starsan'ed stuff to dry, it's not necessary and is counterproductive. You can and should use them while they're still wet. Just make sure you drain or shake off the excess, but with starsan, wet is good, as long as it's wet it's still killing things for you

Turn, I may have to take you up on the bottles, will keep in touch.

Plug, I'm pretty stoked I got everything in my guest tub but it's not bubbling yet. I Covered them all with brown paper bags and been checking frequently.

Turn, I may have to take you up on the bottles, will keep in touch.

Plug, I'm pretty stoked I got everything in my guest tub but it's not bubbling yet. I Covered them all with brown paper bags and been checking frequently.

When did you pitch? What yeast? What temp?

Nottingham ale yeast. Looks like the little carboys at right at 69 and had foam this morning at the 36hr mark.

Checked today and its lightly bubbling like a fresh beer would be. I think I am too impatient haha. But I did pitch dry maybe thats why its slow. I been monitoring temperature and its a constant 69 according to my temp gun.

Checked today and its lightly bubbling like a fresh beer would be. I think I am too impatient haha. But I did pitch dry maybe thats why its slow. I been monitoring temperature and its a constant 69 according to my temp gun.

Pitching dry usually will give you some lag time, sometimes as long as 24-36 hours. I have seen airlock activity last as long as a week depending on the yeast. The constant temperature is a huge thing.

You are doing great.

Pitching dry usually will give you some lag time, sometimes as long as 24-36 hours. I have seen airlock activity last as long as a week depending on the yeast. The constant temperature is a huge thing.

You are doing great.

I'm marching ahead it's been 5 days and I am going to get a 4 or 5 gal batch of Kirkland Apple juice going this weekend.

Back