First Timer and I Got "Steam Beer" Rolled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schrock

Reaction score
First post so howdy fellow beer lovers :mug:

This is my first attempt at brewing beer. Last week I did my research and yesterday I headed out to buy my equipment and supplies. Origionally I was going to do a Hefeweizen but the brewery supplier talked me into doing a Golden Lager. I was looking for something on the low end of the EBU scale. When I got home I started reading about Lagers and yikes not what I expected! The instructions and ingredients from the brewery supplier that accompanied my purchase for making the Golden Lager is more along the lines of making a Steam Beer. I was given a lager yeast (white labs WLP833) but the instructions call for fermenting the beer for a week at 60-70 degrees and then bottling. The ingredients I was given in the kit include:
4 IBS Lite Dry Malt Extract
2 Ibs Crushed Caravienne Malt
2 oz. Tenning hops
1 pkg Finnings

Will this beer be drinkable if I follow the instructions? Anyone have any advise?

Thanks for any input!

It will be drinkable but won't be a crisp and clean as a lager should be. Keep the ferm temp as low as you possibly can (not below 45 though) and be patient.

If you're not up to fermenting at 55˚ or lagering for a while, try an ale! Pick up a package of US-05 or Nottingham and ferment as an ale (at about 65˚).

That being said, 2 lbs. of Caravienne is a bit much.... might end up being too sweet.

It will be drinkable but won't be a crisp and clean as a lager should be. Keep the ferm temp as low as you possibly can (not below 45 though) and be patient.

Thanks rjwhite41. Well you didn't mention the word gag so that is a good sign ;). I thought about trying to brew this as a real lager but I don't have enough yeast and would need to propagate. However according to the yeast manufactures suggestions I could just do a warm pitch and then drop the temp down to the specified temps on the yeast instructions once fermenting begins. I got this info from the yeast manufacturer here http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/craft_FAQ.html

If you're not up to fermenting at 55˚ or lagering for a while, try an ale! Pick up a package of US-05 or Nottingham and ferment as an ale (at about 65˚).

That being said, 2 lbs. of Caravienne is a bit much.... might end up being too sweet.

Thanks storunner13 that might be a good way to go. I will need to think about it. Thanks again.

Thanks rjwhite41. Well you didn't mention the word gag so that is a good sign ;). I thought about trying to brew this as a real lager but I don't have enough yeast and would need to propagate. However according to the yeast manufactures suggestions I could just do a warm pitch and then drop the temp down to the specified temps on the yeast instructions once fermenting begins. I got this info from the yeast manufacturer here http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/craft_FAQ.html

Ideally, you would make a starter with some DME. You can do it right in your carboy if you have to. Otherwise, I would just pitch at the temp you're looking for but it will take a while to show signs of fermentation.

That's where I'd go with it, do a California Ale with Wyeast 2112. No lagering would equal an easier process to me. I'm all for easy.

Latest posts

Back