First Time with Temperature Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ultryx

Reaction score
Just snagged myself a non-functioning Danby Wine Cooler off CL. I do not have the intention of lagering anything so I just wanted a chamber I could heat gently. Maybe one day I'll see what someone thinks they would charge to fix it. Anyway, what are all the things I'll need for this fermentation control?

1.) Inkbird dual heating and cooling
2.) Reptile lamp with ceramic heating bulbs (I figure these are good because of no light)

Should I place the Inkbird temperature probe in a mason jar inside the fermentation chamber? I brew in plastic buckets so I don't run carboys with thermowells.

I prefer to sandwich the probe between the bucket and sponge . Look into fermwraps . They work really well.

I prefer to sandwich the probe between the bucket and sponge . Look into fermwraps . They work really well.

You place the probe on the exterior of the bucket and tape a sponge to the exterior of that? I've seen the wraps on a few different sites. Are most the same?

20190504_070848.jpg

Like this . However this is a plastic carboy . Think it isnt much difference then a bucket . I bought mine at my LHBS. I think the Fermwrap is it's own brand i think .

View attachment 680291

Like this . However this is a plastic carboy . Think it isnt much difference then a bucket . I bought mine at my LHBS. I think the Fermwrap is it's own brand i think .

I went with the actual FermWrap brand. Reviews were really positive. That's just a dry sponge in your photo right?

I've had success with seeding heat mats. I used it for a kettle sour recently, and it kept 3 gallons of wort between 90-100 degrees for over 24 hours.

Excellent news. That's perfect. I decided to go with a FermWrap which should be fairly similar. One of the reviews said they were able to keep liquid in that range also. Do you use a temperature probe on the outside of your bucket/carboy or do you place it elsewhere?

Similar to Jag75, I tape the temperature probe taped to the outside of the carboy with some bubble wrap over it (I have an Johnson Controls Controller to turn the heating element on/off automatically). On the Brew Strong podcast, John Blichmann did some experiments and found less than one degree F temp difference between measuring in the middle of the wort and on the outside of carboy, so taping on the outside is very accurate.

I currently ferment in my unfinished basement, on my three fermenters I'm using a fermwrap, heating pad and seeding mat. The fermwarp works the best, with a controller I can set to any temp I want. I will probably replace the other two for fermwraps at some point.

Similar to Jag75, I tape the temperature probe taped to the outside of the carboy with some bubble wrap over it (I have an Johnson Controls Controller to turn the heating element on/off automatically). On the Brew Strong podcast, John Blichmann did some experiments and found less than one degree F temp difference between measuring in the middle of the wort and on the outside of carboy, so taping on the outside is very accurate.

That's really encouraging to read about the one degree or less difference. I'm excited to finally have some control over my fermentation temperatures.

I currently ferment in my unfinished basement, on my three fermenters I'm using a fermwrap, heating pad and seeding mat. The fermwarp works the best, with a controller I can set to any temp I want. I will probably replace the other two for fermwraps at some point.

Glad to hear. I ordered a FermWrap and an Inkbird dual controller.

I have a Fermwrap which works well. It depends on what you are brewing and what your room temperature is but I need the refrigeration of the chamber far more than I need the heater. Active fermentation heats up the wort so the main battle is cooling it back down to the desired temperature. I don't think my heater ever runs with most of my batches but the refrigerator runs quite a bit in my 65-70 degree basement.

I have a Fermwrap which works well. It depends on what you are brewing and what your room temperature is but I need the refrigeration of the chamber far more than I need the heater. Active fermentation heats up the wort so the main battle is cooling it back down to the desired temperature. I don't think my heater ever runs with most of my batches but the refrigerator runs quite a bit in my 65-70 degree basement.

Things generally run pretty cool here at my house. This will also come in handy for my sours and kveik yeast based brews.

Back