First Time using whole hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajorTom

Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed using whole hop cones for the first time. They are some that I grew this year. I tried using them for the 15 minute addition to test them out. What I noticed is that they kept their shape of the cone, I was expecting them to come all apart. After I poured out the wort I got one out of the kettle. I could still pull the leaves up and see all kinds of Lupulin underneath. I put it in my mouth and mashed it and all kinds of hop flavor rushed out of it. So, It made me wonder if they didn't get utilized very well. Is this normal for using whole hops? Could it mean they weren't dried enough?

Were they still "wet"?

I use whole hops often and the do fall apart and make a large mess.

Wet Hops hold together a bit longer, next time try dry them out using a muslin bag and a hair dryer on Low !!

-Jason

I just used whole hops for the first time myself in a brew I did and I added 1/2 for the full boil and the remainder of the hops in the last 15. It's not ready to drink yet (still in primary (2 1/2 weeks)). The full boil hops broke down much more than the 15 minute ones.

Sorry I can't offer anymore than that at this time.

Salute! :mug:

Yes they were dried. I used a food dehydrator. Maybe they were not all the way dry though. I was afraid of over drying them. Next time I'll be using whole hops for the full boil so maybe they will have more time to fall apart. Anyway, the wort ended up tasting delicious, very hoppy flavor, so I know it will be good beer regardless!

Back