First time using lager yeast wlp820

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know it they have 3056 equivalent, but I have had good results using other yeast strains from those two yeast suppliers.
Okay so I'll check out Imperial yeast and Giga yeast correct? I'm also making a starter for my pumpkin Imperial Stout I'm brewing on Sunday [emoji41]
IMG_20181005_130837782.jpeg

Just to give you guys an update after 4 weeks lager is down to 1.016. Plan to start the lagering process in a keg this week!

Took a sample 4 weeks into lagering and put it slow and low on gas for a week will check carbonation after 7 days.
IMG_20181117_214744003.jpeg

We'll 820 likes temperatures in the mid 50's. Why is everyone trying to crank their temp all the way down to 50?

We'll 820 likes temperatures in the mid 50's. Why is everyone trying to crank their temp all the way down to 50?
True!! I harvested the yeast from this batch and used it on a dark lager at 50 and it took off in 36 hours big time so who knows ?

True!! I harvested the yeast from this batch and used it on a dark lager at 50 and it took off in 36 hours big time so who knows ?
I just fermented a helles back 1.064 og with wlp 820 at 55, it took off quickly. Taste before cold crashing was clean, no fusel alcohols or other of flavors. Going to keg today. Point is, if it's sluggish at 50- warm it up a bit. 50 is on the low side door this yeast per white labs.

Old thread, but wish I saw this sooner. Had a few beers in Nationals this year and was sure if any advanced to finals, it would be my NZ Pils, so I rebrewed it, only to find my Czech Dark advanced...and I just rebrewed it Saturday and used WLP820 hoping the malt forward yeast would drive out even more malt complexity from the beer...but little did I know it was a slow yeast. Only have a month for this beer to finish be carbonated and bottled. Pitched a starter yesterday at 51F...going to bump it to 54F when I get home and also going to use the quick lager method and push it to around 65F when it's 50% attenuated to try to get it to finish fermenting within two weeks. I used a new Pure Pitch larger yeast packs, combined with the starter, so pitched a ton of yeast.

Back