first time using a stir plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnfever

Reaction score
I just got my stir plate and 2 liter Erlenmeyer flask from http://www.stirstarters.com/. Super fast shipping and will give more feed back ounce I use it.

Any ways what is a good speed to run these thing at? Right now I only have it half full of water and after a couple of minutes the vortex seem to go all the way to the bottom and create a slurping noise. Should I turn down the rpm a little to where it just stops to make that slurping noise?

Any helps is greatly appreciated.

yeah, turn it down a bit. You just need the liquid moving around in there, not whipping around in a death spiral. The yeast are supposed to make you dizzy, not the other way around.

Okay I kind of figured it shouldn't be that fast.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Also, when you put in your starter wort, it will be thicker and will not make such an aggressive vortex, like the plain water did. You would not think it would make that much of a difference, but it does.

I got the same setup for my hubby for christmas from him and LOVE it. Great to work with and the stir plate is built really Solid. They guys in our brew crew are jealous :)

I usually keep about a half inch deep vortex in the wort. This keeps the yeast in suspension and that's really all you want to do.

Before I pitch the yeast I spin the crap out of it for a few minutes, fast enough to almost throw the stir bar just to oxygenate the wort. Turn if off and pitch, then I slow it down for the duration.

Mine's just a little dimple in the surface... basically you just need enough movement to stir the CO2 out of solution and get some O2 mixed in.

Thanks to all!! I started my starter last night for Saturdays brew. It has a nice layer of foam right now. I only hope I did not make the starter to soon.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

If it finishes early, a couple days in the fridge is fine - even a week and I would still just pitch it as is. More than 7 days and then you have to consider the loss of some of the population and consider making another starter but even then some people take the lazy route.

Latest posts

Back