First time using a carboy. Is my beer ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrongBad42

Reaction score
I've been using buckets for most of my beers. I thought I'd use a carboy this time so I can see the yeasty beasties working their magic. About 10 minutes after pitching I see this. Is everything ok?

It looks like you have a ton of stuff that settled to the bottom / is still in suspension. That seems like more stuff then I have ever seen in my carboy before.

What kind of beer /yeast?

That's hot break: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/hot-break-causing-off-flavors-149820/index2.html

It looks like egg drop soup, and will settle out in the fermenter.

You can filter it between the kettle and fermenter with a hopback, you can let it settle once chilled for 20-30 min. and leave it behind, or you can just let it settle in the fermenter.

It is allegedly preferable not to have too much of it in the fermenter, but I have no negative experiences, I try to leave it in the kettle.

That's hot break: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/hot-break-causing-off-flavors-149820/index2.html

It looks like egg drop soup, and will settle out in the fermenter.

You can filter it between the kettle and fermenter with a hopback, you can let it settle once chilled for 20-30 min. and leave it behind, or you can just let it settle in the fermenter.

It is allegedly preferable not to have too much of it in the fermenter, but I have no negative experiences, I try to leave it in the kettle.

So you siphon from kettle to primary then?

What are some good options to keep it out of the bottling bucket?

So you siphon from kettle to primary then?

What are some good options to keep it out of the bottling bucket?

Odds are it'll compress into the bottom quite a bit. You've probably had the exact same thing happen in your bucket fermentors and just not been able to see it.

Latest posts

Back