First time saving and also doing a yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frozengator

Reaction score
Ok I am using 05. I collected from 1st carboy and secondary. Two different jars were stored. I didn't wash the primary. And I just poured a little off the top into the starter. My secondary I did a slight wash and left a little beer on top when I stored it in the fridge. I poured the beer off and dumped the rest in with the primary and starter. I did this last night and it is bubbling this mourning.My question is, would it be ready for today? Should I dump my back up packet I bought in with it? Don't even use it? Or just dump it in by itself? I am making an IPA clone. Gumball head

Ended up putting the dry packet and what I collected from last brew. If I do this again, how do you know you have enough yeast for a regular IPA ale?

1 cup of slurry is usually enough for your next pitch. There are calculators online but I've always seen 1 cup as a reference. You could also harvest yeast cells from your starter. You'd only need to brew a starter with an extra 500 mL, if possible, and save the extra 500 mL for future starters. It's easier than washing. You can do this for all ales not just hoppy beers plus if you're brewing a lot of hoppy beers you might have more sludge in your primary if you don't filter the hops out before pitching.

Also, the yeast cells you harvested from primary are what you'd want to grow more of. Secondary you're getting less flocculant yeast cells.

Ended up putting the dry packet and what I collected from last brew. If I do this again, how do you know you have enough yeast for a regular IPA ale?
I use yeast slurries almost always. A 5 gallon batch gets me 2 full mason jars, I've never washed the yeast or made a starter. I just dump one jar in the next batch and have never had a single issue. They always take off better and faster than pitching dry yeast.
After they settle in the fridge it usually equals around 400ML of slurry after decanting.

So I use a conical, I dumped 1 quart mason jar an hour after I transferred from pot to fermentor. This was before I pitched my yeast. I pulled a full second jar and placed a lid on jar and stuck it in the fridge.

From what you are saying just pitch that full jar of slurry on next batch?

Back