First time ranching/making a starter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikesalvo

Reaction score
and Im not sure if this worked. Basically pitched some ranched yeast into a starter I made. I made a 1/2 gallon starter in a 1 gallon growler. pitched my ranched yeast. put an airlock/stopper on top and gave it a shake. A Nice Krauesen has formed and there is a small yeast cake on the bottom. Has this worked? If so, when should I pitch it? after the krauesen settles?

What was your process like for the ranching? If there are signs of activity (bubbling or krausen) I would pitch it or put it in the fridge after 24 hours.

mixed up some trub from a previous batch. Poured some into a sanitized jar. Let it settle. Poured into another glass jar leaving behind the nasties. Repeated 2 or 3 more times. I was left with a jar of nice amber liquid with a cake on the bottom. Put in fridge for a couple weeks. Made starter with it yesterday. There is de. a kreusen, but the airlock is not bubbling. The yeast def. seems to have multiplied though...

It sounds like it is working to me. An airlock isn't really necessary either, just a sanitized piece of foil on top will work. You could either pitch the whole starter, or pop it in the fridge for at least 24 hours to let it clear if you want to decant some of the liquid off. For me personally anything under 2L I usually just pitch the whole thing, anything over and I decant. Another thing I think about is if it's a "delicate" beer I might try to decant so the starter won't impart any significant flavor into your beer.

Back