First time on a yeast cake! In the fridge for over 5 days.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabrew8

Reaction score
Wow i just pumped 5 gallons of all grain 1.050 wort - using the grainfather - in my 6 gal carboy that had a 5 day old yeast cake in it! Mine you i left a small layer of beer and the freezer is very cool. But the yeast started to take off literally within minutes!

I will be taking 3 or 4 samples.....

I love reusing yeast. I usually save it off in a mason jar with a few inches of beer over it and it sits in the keezer. I brew almost exclusively with Safale 05, though I saved off some 04 once, too.

I've been successful with stuff that's up to two months old and reusing twice. I won't push it beyond that.

Yeah i've done the samething over 15x now i'd say - i've been in the third generation haha. First time using a whole cake though. Wicked..

I always try to reuse yeast. I even blend yeast that I have on hand to try and make a "house" yeast. It's fun to play around with and it saves $4-9 bucks each batch.

I wish i would of taken photos but my gravity is 1.010 already. The blowoff was wicked - lost over a liter of beer. Temp only 16C! I just moved it to around 20C.

I plan on doing this this weekend with my Vienna Lager, figure I'll keg whats in there now and just leave the cake and drop the new wort right on top of it.

Back