first time making cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennieone

Reaction score
Hi!,
I have a bunch of gala apples I would like to use for a cider. I have never made cider before only wine and beer. I was going to rent a press but recently got a juicer so I think I will just use that. I am interested in making a not so sweet cider (not sure if gala is the best apple pick), I prefer more dry/not sweet ciders. If anyone has a great recipe that is easy and tastes good to share, I would appreciate it! I am also curious as to which apples I should get that would give me a not as sweet taste but nothing sour and when is the appropriate time to add spice? I read that adding it before fermentation is not a good idea as the sugar and yeast will change the flavor of the spices added.

thanks!

This is the pretty standard go to for a beginning cider recipe:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/man-i-love-apfelwein-14860/

While that is fermenting you can research adding spices/cinnamon sticks but I THINK that most people do it a week or so before bottling in a secondary. I don't add anything additional to the apfelwein when I make it and it gets plenty dry with that yeast. Good luck!

Back