First time lager question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elgee

Reaction score
I am making an American lager for the first time. I am using 2 packs of WLP840. Made a 1600 starter and decanted. Expiration date was 3/31, so close to the end of life? Anyway, after a week of fermenting at 52, it’s dropped from 1.056 to 1.040. Is this slower than usual? I’m worried the yeast was too old even with the starter? I know it takes more time than an ale, but seems like it’s started to slow. No more airlock action, not that it matters.

While I don't have experience with that particular yeast, it does sound slow. But, expiration dates are loose guidelines and "close" to expired really isn't that close IMO.

Someone is going to ask - how are you measuring the gravity?

Someone is also going to ask whether you used a yeast starter calculator. OG of wort? How old was the yeast?

elgee, if your starter fermented well, that's a good indication that the yeast should be healthy enough. However, a drop of only 16 gravity points indicates that the yeast has not done much work. A slow start is usually due to insufficient yeast cell count. How big is your batch-5 or 10 gal.? Two of the most important things I've learned about the fermentation process, are temperature control and patience. I would start moving the temp on up to 54-55F over the next 3 days, and hold there in primary through week 2. If this doesn't spur more airlock activity, then you need to add more yeast. Give it a chance though. I have had good brews fermented with WLP 840. I always rack my lagers to secondary (but not my ales), and allow a total of 3 weeks in the fermentor. Keep us posted on the status of this brew.

Lagers are slower to get going then ales, but not that slow. 3/31 expiration date puts packaged date around 11/30, which puts yeast viability around 24% or 48 billion cells in the two packs combined instead of 200 billion if fresh. Using Brewer's Friend yeast calculator, a 1.056 lager needs, at their lowest lager rate, 392 billion cells. 1.6 liter starter (assuming 1.040 starter gravity and a stir plate) would = 304 billion cells, which is 88 billion short of target. So underpitching, plus colder temps would explain while it's very slowly moving. With lagers I would highly recommend using a yeast calculator and pitch accurate amounts.

Lagers are slower to get going then ales, but not that slow. 3/31 expiration date puts packaged date around 11/30, which puts yeast viability around 24% or 48 billion cells in the two packs combined instead of 200 billion if fresh. Using Brewer's Friend yeast calculator, a 1.056 lager needs, at their lowest lager rate, 392 billion cells. 1.6 liter starter (assuming 1.040 starter gravity and a stir plate) would = 304 billion cells, which is 88 billion short of target. So underpitching, plus colder temps would explain while it's very slowly moving. With lagers I would highly recommend using a yeast calculator and pitch accurate amounts.

Thanks, I’ll have to add more yeast. Perhaps a packet of dry yeast since there are more cells? I don’t know if a dry packet will throw off the taste since I used the liquid American lager yeast and I don’t think there is a similar dry type? I made 5 gallons, and the starter was at 1.040.

Thanks, I’ll have to add more yeast. Perhaps a packet of dry yeast since there are more cells? I don’t know if a dry packet will throw off the taste since I used the liquid American lager yeast and I don’t think there is a similar dry type? I made 5 gallons, and the starter was at 1.040.

Sorry, have not been on the site for a week, a dry yeast pack should not change the flavor at this point.

I would not add more yeast at this point. As someone else pointed out lagers ferment slower. If your yeast expiration date was 3/31 it is fine. Don't worry about it. Don't fiddle around trying to "fix" it. Just let it ride.

A couple of us have asked if you're measuring gravity with a refractometer or a hydrometer, but I haven't seen a reply. Which is it? See post #4.

Try rebrewing and pitch half the slurry from this batch.
I’ve got a lager going at 49F with 2206 and it dropped from 1.043 to 1.034 in 24 hours, so “slower” is relative.
With a lager ferment, triple the yeast you’d use for an ale. Hope that helps!

I got it down to 1.014 after the diacetyl rest, so that was good enough for me. Its now lagering at 35.

Weird thread to just randomly drop this in but this was recently passed along to us from a White Labs rep.

Cheers

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 3.39.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 3.39.20 PM.png
    120.9 KB · Views: 23
Weird thread to just randomly drop this in but this was recently passed along to us from a White Labs rep.

Cheers

That's interesting. I know yeast calculators are not the bible when it comes to cell count, but 72% viability after 6 months per that link seems crazy...but I just found the same info on their web site. https://www.whitelabs.com/news/purepitch-shelf-life That really throws off everything and means I have been overpitching like crazy.

Back