First Time Lager... Any Tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiddup_is_a_middup

Reaction score
I 've got a regulator on the fridge and all the ingredients for my first lager. I plan to make a starter next week. Any Tips from you pros?

I don't know, but i will be watching. I want to get into the larger world myself...GOOD LUCK!

I've made three now. Although it will go against the advice of some of the pros....one thing I have had some success doing is starting the beer at a somewhat warmer temp for a few hours to give it a good jump start. I brewed a doppelbock a couple of months ago and I added the starter and then put it in my basement(65F) for about 18 hours. It was bubbling away in the fridge within 24 hours. Which is nice if you are like me and get nervous with lag time.

I made my first lagers this winter. I fermented my starter cold and pitched it cold, the lag was 4 days. My only suggestion is that whatever your starter is, doubling it will only help.

However, I've tried two of my czech pils after 4 weeks of lagering and I cannot believe how clean and refreshing it tastes. Makes me want to travel to Europe to have a Pilsner Urquell without any oxidation.

I am buying a Kenmore 8cu foot freezer this week for summer ales and for lagering... I need a lager book now, I am excited!!

Pitch a big starter, pitch it cold and be patient.
IMHO cold pitching is the way to go. You may want to read up on
cold pitching, and diacetyl rest. Don't freak because of slightly longer lag phases.

ANY great books out there that anyone woule recommend that address lagering in a comprehensive matter?

The Pol said:
ANY great books out there that anyone woule recommend that address lagering in a comprehensive matter?
Principles of Brewing Science, by George Fix. It is very comprehensive, but also REALLY technical. Do you like organic chemistry?

I only made one lager so far, so I'm no expert! But, I learned a couple of things. The first is patience. I made a huge starter, and chilled it to 50 degrees and pitched it into 52 degree wort. It took off in less than a day. The primary took about 12 days, then I did the diacetyl rest and went to secondary. The secondary took about 2 weeks. (My notes are at home, so I'm guessing here). Then the lagering phase began and I lowered the temp 5 degrees per day until I was at 34 degrees. I would do the same again- pitching cold with a big, big starter.

Thanks for all the help guys, I plan on starting my "starter" tomorrow. I plan to step it up to 2 quarts as Palmer suggests.

Back