First time Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simmo5

Reaction score
Hi all, I've just started brewing currently got 3 batches bottles and 2 fermenting at the moment. I have a 19L keg that i want to use for 1 of the Lagers i have fermenting.

I've done abit of research but have a wide range of answers so I've come to the people who know best.

The question i have is Do you need to age the beer like when bottle a brew and if so for how long? is the period of time shorter whilst under co2 then sugar?
Thanks for your time
simmo

2 to 3 weeks at 15 psi and around 38 degrees for best carbon dioxide saturation without over carbonating

Provided the beer is finished before racking to the keg you don't need to age it. It takes anywhere from overnight to a week to carbonate a keg depending on the method used. I typically have fully carbed beer in 3 days by upping the psi, chilling, shaking until no more co2 comes through, and repeating the next day.

With it being his first time kegging im assuming he didn't age it first. Most bottlers age in bottle. just erring to the side of caution.

Is it better to rack the beer to a second fermenter and let it age or age it in the keg with co2?

Best to age in primary. After several days of having the same terminal gravity it is finished fermenting but you want to give it a little extra time for the yeast to finish off its processes. Then rack straight to the keg.

Id leave in the primary for a few days wrack it into the keg carbonate it for two weeks and your golden. Call your local micro brewery ill wager thats exactly what they do. I actually learned this method from the owner of og brewery in milan mi. if your ever there they have a awesome southpaw ipa.

Latest posts

Back