first time kegging tonight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinnick

Reaction score
I have watched a couple of videos online and I am still a little confused about a couple of details. I have heard that after the transfer that the keg should be kept in lower temps so that the beer absorbs the CO2. I watched one video where the guy sat the keg on its side, rolled it around and then drank from it immediately. Which way is correct? I have not seen anyone disconnect the CO2 tank from the keg at all. I was under the impression that the carbed beer would have enough pressure to self serve, again what is the correct way?

So, I should transfer the beer, set the gauge to about 40PSI, then put the whole rig in a fridge or just the keg? I really did go through several links but I feel that I am missing something here. Thanks in advance for helping the noob.

- Nick

There are several ways to force carbonate, both of the methods you mention are correct. Rolling it around and drinking immediately means you have floaties. I like to let a keg settle for 2-3 days.

You have to replace the lost volume as the beer is dispensed with more CO2 or the beer goes flat.

Rolling the keg and all that helps the beer absorb the co2 but putting it on that high of pressure will result in putting your carbonation levels from keg to keg all over the charts not to mention possibly over carbing and ending up with nothing but foam which is a pain to fix. I prefer to chill mine, then set to 30 psi for 12 to 24 hours with no shaking. I then reduce the pressure to serving psi (8 to 12) after venting the pressure and letting it carb the rest of the way at serving pressure. This will jump start the carb process, bringing your beer from 0 to 3 or 4 or whatever psi quickly, shaving a few days off the process but doesn't over shoot where you want to end up at.

I have two ways that I find work great for me, depending on how fast I want to drink my beer.

The preferred way is to rack the beer to the keg, give it a shot of co2, pull the pressure relief valve and give it another shot. I spray some star-san over it, to check for leaks. The purging/refilling helps get rid of any oxygen in the keg.

Then, I take the keg and put it in the kegerator with the other kegs. My regulator is set at 12 psi, and my fridge is 40 degrees. In a week to 10 days, the beer is perfect.

If I'm in a huge hurry, I do everything the same except set my regulator for 30 psi for 36 hours. I then turn off the gas, purge the keg, and reset the regulator for 12 psi and turn it back on. Then the beer is ready to drink in 3 days or so.

I found that shaking/rocking/burst carbing the keg made it foaming, often overcarbed and gave me fits so I don't do that at all. I also found that at least 3-7 days in the kegerator eliminated that "bite" that came from shaking the keg to carb it up fast (carbonic acid). It also seems like the beer is clearer after sitting still for 3-7 days, so I really like that.

ive tried both methods...as with must things...good things comes to those who wait.

the beer is much better for me if I let it carb. nice and slow.

like 10 psi for 5 days to a week. at 45 degrees. depends on your style too.

keep an eye on your regulator too.

good luck!

Latest posts

Back