First time kegger question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpitts38

Reaction score
I just kegged two batches. I set the pressure at 10psi. Was gonna leave it there for about 4 days for carbing (per a kegging tutorial on youtube) then lower it. I've got those taps that connect directly to top of keg. So does this 10psi thing sound ok and what would be a good serving pressure.

Thanks

Serving & carbing pressure depends on the style and temp of the beer.

To me, 10-12 psi sounds ok for carbing and serving for the low to mid 2.0 by volume at normal fridge temps.

First, assuming ~5 gallon cornelius-style kegs, four or five days at 10 psi - assuming the beer is cold - will get you about a third of the way to a reasonably carbonated keg of beer.

With respect to the actual pressure you should be using to carb your beer, refer to our favorite carbonation table. Using your beer temperature and your desired level of carbonation in "volumes of CO2" (hint: "typical" ales are carbed around 2.5 volumes) you can use the table to determine the appropriate pressure to use.

Once the beer is fully carbed, you may find that dispensing with a keg-attached faucet requires reducing the CO2 pressure to a very small value - like 4 or 5 psi - to avoid epic foam problems. You'll likely need to shut off the gas, pop the PRV valve on the keg to release the head space pressure, then dial up the gas pressure while testing the pours.

The down side of this is the beer will slowly lose its carbonation, so when you're done serving for the day, you'll want to dial the CO2 pressure back up to the same level used to carb the beer...

Cheers!

I also kegged for the first time last night.. forced carb and poured. turned out great, but a tip for picnic taps, open the picnic tap all the way when pouring otherwise if you press down part way I just got foam from the tap. not sure if its the same on a regular faucet.

I just kegged two batches. I set the pressure at 10psi. Was gonna leave it there for about 4 days for carbing (per a kegging tutorial on youtube) then lower it. I've got those taps that connect directly to top of keg. So does this 10psi thing sound ok and what would be a good serving pressure.

Thanks

I have a kegerator and I always crank the co2 to 30psi for 36 hours and then turn back to 10-12 for serving. No need to go lower unless you have major foam.

I use perlick faucets and have 10ft beer lines. I've used picnic taps in the past too. What's your setup?

I also kegged for the first time last night.. forced carb and poured. turned out great, but a tip for picnic taps, open the picnic tap all the way when pouring otherwise if you press down part way I just got foam from the tap. not sure if its the same on a regular faucet.

It is the same for any tap. If you partially open it you create a turbulance where the CO2 will come out of solution and foam up. There are taps that work on this premise called creamer taps. When you push them back they open partially and put out foam.

Back