First Time - Critique My Kombucha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morbster

Reaction score
I've had my first batch fermenting for three days now, and it has started to produce a film and foam (maybe a pellicle). Everything look ok so far?

Couple things to note:
- My vessel is a blue glass container, so the color is a bit off in the pics.
- I did not use a scoby for this, just a full bottle of GT's
- The taste seems fine so far, still very sweet and tea-like, with a little bit of funk.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1500836133.128760.jpg

It doesn't look anything at all that I've seen but maybe it's still ok. I've never seen it get "spotty" like that on top. Mine get bubbly on the edges, then a film grows over the surface, but never mold. They do get sort of ugly, though, so I would guess that could be what's going on here.

Mine doesn't have "funk" to it- sort of a tart (but not "sour") bright flavor.

Thanks yooper, I'll give it a few more days and see how it goes.

It's possible that something got in that shouldn't have. Time will tell!

Mine get bubbly on the edges, then a film grows over the surface, but never mold.

What do you do with the filmy layer after a batch?

My plan was to use the spigot to fill bottles, leaving a few cups of starter tea for the next batch. However, I think I should probably deal with all the film on top, unless everyone else just leaves it.

Also, the tartness has started to come through after 4 days. It's still very sweet, but it's taking on a good level of acidity.

I would leave....it is the beginning of a scoby.

I see this film of containers that are larger than my scoby. In your case....any container is larger. The foam is the beginning of your solid mellow yellow scoby(someone corrected me please if I am wrong).

With one batch, I carefully refilled the brewing container to minimally disrupt the layer. It thicken with the next batch and I was able to handle it. It stayed pretty ugly but it brewed well for me.

Another batch containing the film thicken to a 1/8" to 1/4" scoby that looks much nicer after three batches.

I hope this reaches you in time. You have a good start for a nice mother. The picture below is what the white foam turned into. Even though some of the spots are white and circular, they are moist and smooth...not mold. The batch in the upper right corner is the "ugly scoby". Not as thick but definitely brewing away!

New scoby at low temperature.jpg

Thanks for the info. I have already bottled that batch, and I decided to remove the film after I was finished. I did, however, leave about a quart of kombucha as a starter tea for my next batch, which is already developing a solid tartness.

Thanks for the info. I have already bottled that batch, and I decided to remove the film after I was finished. I did, however, leave about a quart of kombucha as a starter tea for my next batch, which is already developing a solid tartness.

Each batch creates a new matt. You can separate them (they are attached in the middle usually) and save them in a "SCOBY hotel"- a container with starter and sweet tea (basically a mini-kombucha batch) and put all of your back-up SCOBYS in there. Use the newest one for the current batch.

I replenish my SCOBY hotel every once in a while- pour off a couple of cups and use it for salad dressing as it's very vinegary- and add some fresh sweet tea. I have about 10 or 12 in a half-gallon jar, so it's plenty in case something happens to the newest one. I don't need that many in reserve, but I have a hard time throwing them away and I don't know anyone local who uses kombucha.

Each batch creates a new matt. You can separate them (they are attached in the middle usually) and save them in a "SCOBY hotel"- a container with starter and sweet tea (basically a mini-kombucha batch) and put all of your back-up SCOBYS in there. Use the newest one for the current batch.

I replenish my SCOBY hotel every once in a while- pour off a couple of cups and use it for salad dressing as it's very vinegary- and add some fresh sweet tea. I have about 10 or 12 in a half-gallon jar, so it's plenty in case something happens to the newest one. I don't need that many in reserve, but I have a hard time throwing them away and I don't know anyone local who uses kombucha.
I heard if you dehydrate them they make an awesome chew toy for dogs .

Back