First time cider questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Headley_Lamarr

Reaction score
I’ve been reading and reading the various threads about cider and have a couple things I’d like clarified by those who have done this a few times. I have 3 gallons of organic UV treated farmer’s market cider going in a 3 gallon better bottle. OG was 1.05. I added some pectic enzyme, waited an hour, and then pitched an entire smack pack of Wyeast cider/mead/wine yeast (sorry, forgot the number). It’s bubbling away on day 3. I had a little airlock overflow on day 2, but cleaned it up, resantized and set it back up. I don’t have a kegging option.

1) I’m considering letting it complete ferment out to dry, bottling with some corn sugar and bottle aging for a sparkling dry cider. Will aging only in bottles suffice? I only have a 5 gallon carboy to do a secondary in and suspect the amount of surface air is less than ideal. I guess I could rack to the carboy, clean/sanitize the 3 gal bb, then re-rack to that.

2) I have no clue what really dry sparkling cider tastes like. I’ve had JK Skrumpy, Crispin, Magners, Stongbow, and the Woodchuck stuff (way too sweet for me). Are there any commercial sparkling dry ciders you recommend trying to see if I like dry cider? I’m in Chicago, so have access to a lot of stuff if someone can name a brand.

3) I am also considering doing bottling when it got to the sweetness I liked, adding the appropriate corn sugar, and pasteurizing. I’m wary of the stovetop method as there seem to be a lot of explosions. I couldn’t find any definitive threads on successful dishwasher pasteurization. My dishwasher has a sanitize setting. Anyone do this and have it work out?

Thanks. Hurrumph.

Back