First time cider question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdVanL

Reaction score
New to the forum, just thought id post this quikly. I just did my first batch of apple cider from scratch, its been in the primary for abojt 4 weeks now. I tested the s.g and it reads at about .98. Its actualy below the scale on my hydrometer so thats a bit of a guess, but i cannot find any clues to what i should do about a reading that low.
Any help is much apreaciated guys, thanks!

What was the starting og? What's the recipie? What size and what did you use as a yeast. If it's been four weeks what kind of leese is there on the bottom it may have finished fermenting. Rack it. Taste it... Is it alcoholic?

Unfortunately I did not measure the OG, The recipe, I just kind of winged it (experimenting is the BEST way to learn, even if it all goes to scratch, I think anyways). I started with apples off the trees in my back yard getting between 8-10l of juice, I added 1/2 cup of brown sugar, and 1/2 cup of raw (unrefined) sugar. Come to think of it it may have been more like 1 cup of each... I used potassium meta. to cure it, and then added a packet of I think champagne yeast. There is a good 2 inches of "leese" on the bottom but also I ended up with some extra pulp in the juice (long story, dont ask). I'm sampling it right now, and yes.. it is FOR SURE alcoholic. :D

I've heard of cider going lower then that. Champagne yeast will make a very very dry cider. I'd expect. 997-.996 as a final. I have a cider going for 4 weeks as well. I used cider yeast. Starting og was 1.088. I'm down to 1.002. And its still going.

New to the forum, just thought id post this quikly. I just did my first batch of apple cider from scratch, its been in the primary for abojt 4 weeks now. I tested the s.g and it reads at about .98. Its actualy below the scale on my hydrometer so thats a bit of a guess, but i cannot find any clues to what i should do about a reading that low.
Any help is much apreaciated guys, thanks!

Some may say to leave it sit for longer in primary, but I personally would rack it off all that yeast. Do you have the means to do a secondary? Or what were u planning on ending up with? Kegging? Bottling? Carbonated or still? It sounds like the yeast have done their thing and if there's alot of headspace in your primary, then you definitely want to minimize that.

My secondary is a 30l carboy, so I went ahead and just bottled it straight from the primary. I did not add any carbonation to it, and I'm guessing that it will clear in the bottle over the next few weeks? I ended up with 6 1/4 wine bottles full, the 1/4 made a very tasty beverage for me and the wife with dinner :D How long should I let it age for before it reaches perfection? I'm already looking forward to my next batch.

Oh ya, one more question! Should I be keeping my bottled cider in a dark place while clearing like I do with wines?

Well congrats on the success! You can truly call it your own especially since it started with your own apples from your own back yard. That's about as good as it gets:mug:
Nothing wrong with bottling from primary. The simpler the better. You may get some extra sediment that settles out in your bottles. That's typical with bottle conditioning/ageing. I imagine you'll be fine with the wine bottles as far as letting them age since you didn't prime for carbonation. I try to keep mine cool in the basement with minimal temp changes and out of direct sunlight. Not that light will effect anything with cider but just for the sake of keeping things cool. You wouldn't want the sun beating on your bottles everyday...you get the idea. I think after a few months you can taste more apple and smooth. After 6 months even more. Just depends how patient and willing you are to let them chill. Try one every month...or every other. And in the meantime, get that next batch going! Even if you have to get juice from the store.

Back