First time candi syrup success

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RchanceN

Reaction score
Not that this is particularly useful to anyone else, but I used SnickASaurusRex's method found here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/20-lb-sugar-jar-yeast-nutrient-114837/ this week and was pretty successful on my first attempt. I was shooting for the 290 degree double stage, but my coloring looks more like the 280 degree. Probably due to the cheap thermometer I used. (Can anyone recommend a good one to use?) It tastes amazing, like raisins and caramel and I'm stoked about using it in a dubbel soon.

Holy hell, the ammonia smell was stronger than I expected while making this. Will definitely use a fan to suck the fumes away next time. Much thanks to SnickASaurusRex for doing all the experimenting and posting this.

I made some last Thursday for this recipe, Caramel Amber Ale. Everything went great. It took longer than expected. It hit 230F pretty quick then stalled and the temp started creeping up slowly as the water boiled off. At around 275F the temp shot up really quick to 290F. It took around 45+ minutes for the whole process. I used a cheap yet accurate basic digital meat thermometer and it performed flawlessly. The ammonia smell didn't hit me in my batch, lucky I guess? Did it at the same time as making a starter so I had my hands full juggling between the two.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not convinced you can make decent belgian candi syrup at home. You can make some syrups but nothing like the syrups you can get from Belgium (such as D2 from dark candi). I've yet to see anyone who was able to make it at home (someone here has claimed to be able to make it in a lab). That said, I'll probably give this recipe a shot anyways and compare it to the syrups from Belgium.

I hit the same stall in temp at 230F as well diverpat. I guess that's just the point where most of the water has boiled off.

Gio, I can't compare it to the authenticate Belgian syrups because I can't get my hands on any. In fact, that's the reason I looked into this in the first place. I think I may have read a side-by-side comparison on this board somewhere, but don't remember where. If you could post results and maybe pictures to show color difference that would be great.

So I got bored writing a mid-term paper tonight, poured a Highland Seven Sisters, and decided to experiment. I did a triple stage 290F syrup just to see what would happen and I got one that is darker, more complex, some toffee, and darker fruit tasting than my first attempt of a double stage 290F. Maybe not surprising...

After the third water addition, it bubbled (it doesn't really foam, but a boil over with DME comes to mind) A LOT more and reached the top of the pot before I took it off the burner. Anyone know why this happened?

Caramelization of sucrose occurs at 320F as I understand it, so I didn't caramelize right?

Back