First time brewing in almost a month =o

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arl6280

Reaction score
So between end of school year for the kids, holidays, birthdays, family visiting from back east, and getting laid off, its been a bit since I've had a brew day. Well I remedied that today. Took stock of what I had on hand and originally set out to make a slightly hoppier Mirror Pond clone, ended up changing a bit and adding on the fly. But I think I'm going to be pretty happy with this one.

Small Batch 1 gallon

1.5lb gold malt LME
.5lb caramel 20L
.25lb Victory
.25lb Flaked Rye (added last minute because my specialty grains seemed a bit lacking)

.50oz Cascade @60min
.50oz Cascade @20min
.50oz Cascade @flameout
1.5oz Cascade dry hop @day 7 for 5 days

.5 pack S-05 dry yeast

Steeped specialty grains @155 for 25 min, brought to a boil and followed hop schedule, added LME @15min, cooled to 68 degrees F and dry pitched yeast and aerated.

Now we we wait.

Critiques welcome as long as you're not a ******. =)

I brewed for the first time in a year on Saturday. House move and various other things got in the way.

It was good to be back, all though brew day could have gone a little better.

Hmmm...seems like a lot of grains and hops for a pale ale. Scaled to 5 gals this would be:
  • 7.5 lb Gold LME
  • 2.5 lb Caramel 20L
  • 1.25 lb Victory
  • 1.25 lb Flaked Rye
  • 2.5 oz Cascade @60min
  • 2.5 oz Cascade @20min
  • 2.5 oz Cascade @flameout
  • 7.5 oz Cascade dry hop @day 7 for 5 days

Hmmm...seems like a lot of grains and hops for a pale ale. Scaled to 5 gals this would be:
  • 7.5 lb Gold LME
  • 2.5 lb Caramel 20L
  • 1.25 lb Victory
  • 1.25 lb Flaked Rye
  • 2.5 oz Cascade @60min
  • 2.5 oz Cascade @20min
  • 2.5 oz Cascade @flameout
  • 7.5 oz Cascade dry hop @day 7 for 5 days

I thought so too but only after I had gotten started. That's what I meant by changing it on the fly. Still new on figuring out amounts when I wing it. I'm ok with the hops, there's no such thing as too much. The extra grains didn't seem to hurt too much, my starting gravity was 1.051, so not too high. I'm hoping to finish out somewhere between 5 - 6% abv.

Last edited:
Back