First time brewing 10 gallons - Help wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steber

Reaction score
well.. back story:
----
its been awhile since i've brewed. My 'partner' bailed on me and I had a child and brewing got put on the backburner (well no burner). Good news -- I'm back and already got a few batches in the mix! I've stired interest among two good friends now. :ban: 5 gallon batches wont cut it. I already bought a kettle a few years back to prepare for to get into 10 gallon batches... the opportunity finally a raised which leads me to my question.. but im rusty..
----

I'm partial to yoopers 60 min IPA.. But i want to step it up to 10 gallons. The post is over 200 pages long so I searched but got lost in stepping up batches. I know hop utilization doesnt scale by simply doubling and if i remember correctly the more water the BETTER you utilize the hops. so im assuming i can't just double LME or DME either .. Can anyone help me step this up to a 10 gallon batch?

Extract recipe:

DFH clone

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 2.5 gal
Estimated OG: 1.072 SG
Estimated Color: 13.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 49.8 IBU

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.5 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 90.83 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 9.17 %

1.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 26.7 IBU
(Read notes!)

1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (35 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] (30 min) Hops 13.1 IBU
(Read notes!

1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops

Any help is appreciated.. I've brewed the 5 gallons close to a dozen times so I really like this and want to go up to 10 gallons so I can keg 5 gallons and bottle the rest for my 2 friends to split. :tank:

So the more research I do the more it looks like i CAN simply double the recipe... Atleast start their and dial back grain bill or hops, but being an ipa if it ends up slightly hoppier I think i'll be fine. Again if anyone can back this up I'd appreciate it.

Visualizing the brew day of my first 10 gallon batch i realize weight will be a concern.. which I already have a ball valve in my kettle so not concerned. My current chiller is extremely efficient, can drop temps to 65 in about 5 minutes in a 5 gallon boil, so Im not horrible worried about that.

the only concern i have is topping off.. sometimes I have to top off my extracts with maybe 1/2 gallon to a gallon of water. since the whole quantity is in one fermenter its fine because the overall gravity is within one fermenter.. If i split it, is it best to put equal amounts in the fermeneters then top off both the same amount? seems in theory that will work.. just haven't gone the route yet. any help is appreciated.

Sounds like your on the right track! As far as the hop utilization you really wont know until you brew on your system and doubling up the the hop amount is a good starting point. i dont know much behind the science of hop utilization but when I double the volume I usually double the amount.

Either way of filling up your carboys will work. I prefer to fill them up equally first then add water. I would also recommend shaking up or somehow stirring it after to get a good hydrometer reading. Enjoy have fun make sure you have a home brew standing by!

I just doubled the recipe for Centennial Blonde using the BrewTarget software (6G -> 12G) ... both hops & grains were exactly doubled...

Don't know if they do it correctly or not, bit it confirms what I seem to recall reading here on HBT about scaling between 1G & 5G batches...

yeah.. going to go ahead and straight double and see where it gets me. Hard to stomach the price tag.. now to convince the lads to split the $100 price tag 3 ways and still give me half the beer. :D

yeah.. going to go ahead and straight double and see where it gets me. Hard to stomach the price tag.. now to convince the lads to split the $100 price tag 3 ways and still give me half the beer. :D

Welcome back to brewing. Things may have changed a bit since you last brewed, such as omitting secondaries. Don't forget to make a large starter if using liquid yeast.

Why don't you brew the recipe as all grain? In your bio you wrote you have a mash tun. The price difference between extract and all grain is around 2-fold.

For larger batches, rather than by the pound, buying a few whole sacks of base grain saves $$. There maybe a group buy in your area to stock up on those things, check in the Group Buys forum. Then buy the special malts in amounts you need to complete the grist bill. Some group buys do splits.

The Wyoming Valley Homebrewers Club may be a good resource. So is HBT. :rockin:

Thanks. I need to renew my membership to WVHBC, as I didn't pay this year. Wasn't able to make it to many meetings with a new born.

As for doing it AG, I'd need to do more research, not sure I could batch sparge on a 10 gallon brew. That's over 26 pounds of grain I'd have to get into my cooler. I could run two separate batch sparges but that's defeating the purpose of doing 10 gallons to yield more beer in a relative same amount of time as 5 gallons.

Mr. Malty always has my back for my starters and I hope to start buying and storing grain as soon as I know my friends are serious. I got burned once before and got left high and dry, don't want it to happen again.

There are some good brewers in WVHBC, I tasted their beer at the 2013 NHC in Philly. :rockin: They appear to be nice guys too.

How large is your cooler? My 52qt cooler can hold that much grain, but not a lot more though. But... You can mash in any size cooler, or kettle, then use the existing tun just for lautering, since it has a manifold and valve. That'll work fine until you get your buddies serious with the program.

Batch sparging is easiest, do 2 sparges at equal volume. Or 3 if it's too tight.

Getting reliable brew mates is always a toss up. There's a price of admission. They all like beer, but not so much the work and cost involved. Then there is the time factor: "Isn't it ready yet?" But with those who stick with it you can have a great time.

26# of base malt will run you $20-30, half a sack. 16# of dry extract @ $4 = $64

Back