first time brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berg

Reaction score
I am brewing an English ale and I let it ferment in the primary for 6 days at around 67 degrees and I racked it to a secondary and it has been in secondary for 6 days. no visible signs of fermentation. Should I bottle or should I wait for another week. My original gravity was 1.05 and when I racked to secondary it was 1.013. please help ease my concern.:confused:

You could probably bottle.

The easiest way would be to do a couple of gravity readings. Check to see if it is still at 1.013 tomorrow, and if so you'll be good to go.

Check to see if it is still at 1.013 tomorrow, and if so you'll be good to go.

Yep, if you measured FG at 1.013 6 days ago and it is still 1.012-1.013 I would say you are good to go. 1.013 FG on a 1.050 OG beer would be 74% attenuation and is probably about right (depending on the yeast you used). You may get another point or two, but I would be suprised if you get too much lower.

Good luck!

I am brewing an English ale and I let it ferment in the primary for 6 days at around 67 degrees and I racked it to a secondary and it has been in secondary for 6 days. no visible signs of fermentation. Should I bottle or should I wait for another week. My original gravity was 1.05 and when I racked to secondary it was 1.013. please help ease my concern.:confused:

Let it clean up for another week is what I would suggest. Fermentation is more than likely done, and has been so since day 5-6. But, the yeasties are still cleaning up their mess! Patience is worth it!

Unless you are brewing a really heavy brew, 3 weeks will work. I personally go 2 weeks in primary, 2 weeks in secondary then keg.

On another note, search this site for using primary only and avoiding secondary. While you may not change your approach, you will at least learn some great perspectives.

Have fun!!!

Back