First Time Brewer - Coopers English Bitter - Do I carbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGrindilow

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Feel a bit rude making my first post a question, but i'm a new first time brewer and this site seems a great way for me to find out if what the hell I am doing is right!

My Ale has been fermenting for 5 days now, and it seems has stopped fermenting. I've been told from advice from 'criaigtube' to leave it for another week before bottling and I assume this is right.

My main query is, 'should I put carbonation drops in my bottled beer?' I'm slightly confused as here in Britain, we tend to drink Ale pretty flat, I dont want it as gassy as a lager, but a bit of carbonation would be okay.

I'm guessing nearly all of you on here have brewed Ale at some point! I'd be greatfull for any comments in relation to what I should be doing.

Thanks in advance!

I am currently brewing stout and I was told to add sugar when I put it in the keg to get a small amount of carbonation but I am not sure the same applies to if your bottling it.

Yes, you'll want to carbonate it. Take a read through www.howtobrew.com, at the end of the first section he gives instructions on how to add priming sugar and bottle.

Or look at the top of the bottling and kegging section here on HBT and you'll find sticky threads on how to do it.

Good luck on your first batch.

Back