First time Brewer...Can i open the Fermentor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaksBrew

Reaction score
I started brewing recently for the first time. Brewing day was Thursday March3rd. It started fermenting the next day and it now seems that the bubbling through the airlock has stopped.

MY QUESTION IS...can i open it now and check to see if the foam has subsided??

I only have a fermenter Bucket to ferment in, and the instructional video said i add 1 week to the time in the bucket instead of having a second stage fermentation. SHould i not open it until then?

You can open it carefully if you want but you're not going to gain any information by doing so, so why do it other than for curiosity. I'd just leave it for 2-3 weeks & package it. Cheers!!!

+1 to hamiltont.
There is no reason to check to see if the foam has subsided.
Of course, you're probably anxious like every first time brewer but remember: Patience is key! No need to go nutty and open the bucket early, possibly causing an infection. I'd just leave it alone for at least 10 days, then take a gravity reading if you must, then another a couple days later to see if fermentation has stopped.
Either way, if you're adding extra time to account for lack of secondary fermentation, it should sit for at least 3 weeks in your primary before bottling. Why rush it?

If you have a hydrometer, you can open it to take samples. That's the only sure way to know your beer is done fermenting.

Regarding the airlock bubbles, I'm sure Revvy will be by shortly.

Turn off the lights and set a flashlight pointing down on the lid and you can see the foam vs liquid level without opening it.

if you want to take a look at it...take a look at it...then close it back up...you'll be fine..and so will your beer

Thanks everyone, I'll probably just wait and check around the 3 week mark. Just ordered 2 glass carboys so I'll get to see everything better next time.
Cheers!

If you have a hydrometer, you can open it to take samples. That's the only sure way to know your beer is done fermenting.

Regarding the airlock bubbles, I'm sure Revvy will be by shortly.

I just bought a graduated cylinder, i was planning on opening the spigot on my fermenter and letting some of the beer into the graduated cylinder so i can test it with my hydrometer and not risk infection by taking the fermenter lid off.

Any thoughts?

I just bought a graduated cylinder, i was planning on opening the spigot on my fermenter and letting some of the beer into the graduated cylinder so i can test it with my hydrometer and not risk infection by taking the fermenter lid off.

Any thoughts?

I generally use a sanitized turkey baster, one that you can take apart and sanitize both the ball and the tube. Then squeeze the ball as tight as you can, insert the tip into the beer, and wait until the ball inflates fully, gently nudging it if you have to. Should only take 2-3 squirts to get enough for a gravity test.

Once you've got a gravity reading, don't add the sample back to the fermenter. Either drink it or toss it out.

bernerbrau said:
I generally use a sanitized turkey baster, one that you can take apart and sanitize both the ball and the tube. Then squeeze the ball as tight as you can, insert the tip into the beer, and wait until the ball inflates fully, gently nudging it if you have to. Should only take 2-3 squirts to get enough for a gravity test.

Once you've got a gravity reading, don't add the sample back to the fermenter. Either drink it or toss it out.

So I really shouldn't worry about opening the fermenter up and possibly contaminating my beer? That was my thought process behind using the spigot.

So if I sterilized the turkey baster and maybe gave the fermenter lid and air lock a quick sterilize before closing it back up I should be ok?

clw2112 said:
So I really shouldn't worry about opening the fermenter up and possibly contaminating my beer? That was my thought process behind using the spigot.

So if I sterilized the turkey baster and maybe gave the fermenter lid and air lock a quick sterilize before closing it back up I should be ok?

Exactly. Shouldn't be a problem at qll

The thing to remember here is that CO2 is heavier than O2. So as long as you're not rough about it,it's safe to open the lid. But I only would for dry hopping,etc. I don't tempt fate if I don't have to in this regard.

if you want to take a look at it...take a look at it...then close it back up...you'll be fine..and so will your beer

+1 to opening it up. don't let people freak you out too much. just don't sneeze, spit, pee or poop in it and you should be good. you obviously increase your risk of infection everytime you do it so don't do it too often.

Just as a point of interest,my Cooper's micro brew type fermenter has the tap a couple inches off the bottom. They engineered it that way so as to put the tap just above the trub. My bottling wand attaches to that. clean beer every time. I also take my hydrometer samples from there. never a worry.

I just let my brew sit for 18 days then remove cover and take hydro sample. Then on day 21 I do the same thing if the samples are the same bottle/keg it up.
The fermenting was probably finished by day 5 or 6 now the yeasties are cleaning up after themself. I learned this the hard way. But DWRHAHB

+1 to opening it up. don't let people freak you out too much. just don't sneeze, spit, pee or poop in it and you should be good. you obviously increase your risk of infection everytime you do it so don't do it too often.

I opened my fermenter for a gravity sample in a recent batch.

My 2 year old son ambled by and sneezed straight into the bucket while "smelling the hops" (he's a 2 year old hop head, what can I say?)

It wound up being a gloriously good IPA. Though this is not a recommended "best practice."

I opened my fermenter for a gravity sample in a recent batch.

My 2 year old son ambled by and sneezed straight into the bucket while "smelling the hops" (he's a 2 year old hop head, what can I say?)

It wound up being a gloriously good IPA. Though this is not a recommended "best practice."

must have just been a virus. LOL:mug:

Back