First time bottler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAN D

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'll be bottling my first batch ever this coming Sunday after a two week fermentation process. The brewing and fermintation process seemed straight-forward enough with the instructions in my kit but the bottling day instructions are a little less detailed, so it left me wondering: What are 3 things you wish you knew before bottling that you knew after?

I'd also love to hear any other tips and tricks you might suggest.

THANKS!

Be sure batch is ready to bottle. Take a reading today, and on Saturday. Time is your friend. The yeast will finish up when they darn well feel like it, regardless of any silly calendar notions of time.

Set aside 2 hours. That doesn't mean two hours while you also wash the dog, change the oil in your car, worm the kids, or vice versa. It will take longer than you think. Practice with some water first, it will be eye opening. And perhaps floor mopping.

If you have a dishwasher... bottle over the open door of the dishwasher. Place the bottling bucket on the counter above. Do as @Immocles suggested, and attach the bottling wand to the spigot and let it dangle over the open dishwasher door. That way, any overflow from the bottles lands on the door. At the end of the process, just close the dishwasher door, and you overflow runs into the washer drain. Ideally, you do this within a day of needing to run the dishwasher, because then the beer residue get washed away.

Be sure batch is ready to bottle. Take a reading today, and on Saturday. Time is your friend. The yeast will finish up when they darn well feel like it, regardless of any silly calendar notions of time.

Set aside 2 hours. That doesn't mean two hours while you also wash the dog, change the oil in your car, worm the kids, or vice versa. It will take longer than you think. Practice with some water first, it will be eye opening. And perhaps floor mopping.

I have a hydrometer; so I should sanitize it and my thief and measure gravity today and then again on Sunday? How do the readings indicate doneness, no change?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/bottling-tips-for-the-homebrewer.94812/

I researched after my first bottling day, so kudos to you for doing it beforehand. Attaching the wand to the bottling bucket spigot made my process significantly easier.

Thank you for the link, it's got a ton in it to read! We neglected how long it would take to boil on brew day so I wanted to start thinking about it early. The instructions are good but I always think people have better suggestions than a stagnant paper ever will.

1. Baking my bottles the night before instead of using sanitizer the day of bottling.
2. Elevating my bottling bucket higher on the counter and lining the bottles up next to the bottling bucket. (no more hurting my back)
3. Start the transfer from fermenter to bottling bucket to just over the spigot outlet. Then stop the flow. Fill hydrometer tube with needed amount from spigot. Add priming sugar solution to bottling bucket. Start the flow again so that priming solution is thoroughly mixed as bottling bucket fills.

Great suggestions above.
What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for everyone--you'll design your own system eventually.
Keep sanitation protocol in 100%
Don't forget to add priming solution to the bottling bucket
Make sure your beer is finished fermenting
A list of supplies needed so no surprises

Last edited:
1. Have something sturdy to act as a holster for your bottling wand/gun. and, make sure it is sanitary. sometimes you need both hands free and it is nice to be able to set your wand down to deal with stuff.

2. Make sure your have a nice sturdy work surface. I'm too old to be leaning down to the floor so i use a coffee table. i put the bottling bucket on top of a milk crate on the table to assist in gravity. this gives me a bounce-free surface that is a little below my waist for good leverage and less stress on my body.

3. Have fun

Bench cappers work a lot better than wing cappers. Snapped more than a couple necks with wing capper.

Take your time and "mix" your priming sugar with your beer thoroughly. Go slow so you don't mix in any air, but make double sure that it's mixed well so you don't have some bottles that are flat, and some that are gushers!

I used a priming solution my first few times but eventually switched to measuring out dry sugar on a per-bottle basis and adding it via a sanitized funnel. I got more consistent carbonation and there were no notable issues from using dry vs. pre-dissolved.

(Also helpfully reduces the risk of cold-side oxidation, especially if your primary has a port you can bottle from.)

I'm a bottle primer as well, 1/2tsp of regular white sugar per 12-16oz bottle. Adjust for larger bottles (bombers, etc). Everyone says it takes more time than creating a solution, but I did fifty bottles in about three minutes. I add sugar to all of the bottles first, them I'll fill and cap then in small batches (3-5 at a time).

I have a hydrometer; so I should sanitize it and my thief and measure gravity today and then again on Sunday? How do the readings indicate doneness, no change?

The prevailing wisdom says to sanitize extraction device, whether thief or turkey baster, put sample into your hydrometer test jar or thief, measure with hydrometer, and not return sample to batch, to lessen infection chances.

Yes, no change means yeast have stopped converting sugars to CO2 & alcohol. If they are still busy, they will continue in the bottle on the batch's original sugars as well as your additional priming sugar, giving you more carbonation in the bottle than you calculated. This can be problematic, but instead of getting all scared of bottle bombs, just make darn certain that things have finished.

2. Make sure your have a nice sturdy work surface. I'm too old to be leaning down to the floor so i use a coffee table. i put the bottling bucket on top of a milk crate on the table to assist in gravity. this gives me a bounce-free surface that is a little below my waist for good leverage and less stress on my body
+1 to this. I use 2 milk crates on the counter with the bottles all lined up right next to it ready to be filled.

Hello all,

I'll be bottling my first batch ever this coming Sunday after a two week fermentation process. The brewing and fermintation process seemed straight-forward enough with the instructions in my kit but the bottling day instructions are a little less detailed, so it left me wondering: What are 3 things you wish you knew before bottling that you knew after?

I'd also love to hear any other tips and tricks you might suggest.

THANKS!
bottling is easy but tedious, all the cleaning ,label peeling of the reused bottles. After almost 4 yrs ,I still bottle, while others switch to kegging early on. I dont have room or the funding to have kegs for the number of beers I like to keep handy and the tap setups,regulators and CO2 to keep them pressured up. not to mention the electric and chilling set up Id need to keep them all cold. I digress.
Make sure the fermentation is done !!
Bottling- make sure you have enough std longneck 12 oz bottles and caps ,
bottling bucket with spigot. racking cane, bottling wand, clear tubing to fit both(should be 3/8" I.D.), a capping device, star san in a spray bottle and your choice of priming agent. I save sterilized unfermented wort (Spiess)to prime with at bottling.
I will soak reused bottles in Oxyclean and hot water as I can stand in an insulated cooler .I'll fill it up and soak it all day and when I come back in the afternoon , its still pretty hot and most labels fall off , others take a little effort. Ok , pour out the oxyclean and drain while you woork on the next one. 2 cases does 4 1/2 gallons nearly perfectly. 5 gallons is 2 cases plus a 6-pack.
I place my bottling bucket on a counter top (36 inches high) and the cases of bottles sit on a 13 inch harbor freight aluminum step platform. I sit on a bucket to fill them.
I have a system of habits thats worked well all this time.
Take the racking cane and from a gallon jug that I keep the diluted star san in, I use the racking cane with 4 ft of tubing on to fill a trigger spray bottle.
I use the trigger type spray bottle and on spray not stream, spray the bottles inside about 4 pumps each and 1 on the top. I spray all of them and then when all have been treated I take each one and shake it with my thumb over the top (the star san will be foamy)and then pour it out into the bottling bucket ,swirl that around and run it out the tubing through the bottling wand into a small cup that holds enough bottle caps . Spray the capper. By this time everything I will use has been treated. I keep a clean rag handy dampened in star san , every now and then I make sure I wipe my hands with it.
Rack your finished beer to the bottling bucket ,keeping trub out and not splashing .Have enough hose to lay on the bottom of the bucket to avoid aeration. I have by this time rough calculated the amount of Spiess to prime my batch , I add half at the beginning of transfer to the bucket. When I'm done transferring I make sure that the end volume hasnt changed, I'll add the remaining amount of spiess and give it a gentle but thorough stir with my star san treated stainless steel spoon. I leave the bottles in the case while I fill. With the tubing attached to the spigot and the bottling wand on the end ,its already been treated with a tiny amount of star san foam inside. Open the spigot and allow the beer to flow ,the wand has a spring valve in the end and once it hits the first bottle bottom its flowing .
I fill about half the first bottle and set aside because it has a lot of star san in it.
For the rest,
If you slow fill until the beer comes to the lip of the bottle ,when you pull the wand out , its has the perfect amount of headspace to carb the beer during conditioning ,about 1 1/2 inches . Take a soaked cap ,place in my wing capper and cap. If you have yet to use one, its more wrist than arm action. A few people have broken bottles with too much arm pressure. Once you get the feel of it , you'll know. Onto the next one until finished. Usually by day 10 or 11 conditioning at 70-75 * F ,its ready to put in the fridge .

I'm a bottle primer as well, 1/2tsp of regular white sugar per 12-16oz bottle. Adjust for larger bottles (bombers, etc). Everyone says it takes more time than creating a solution, but I did fifty bottles in about three minutes. I add sugar to all of the bottles first, them I'll fill and cap then in small batches (3-5 at a time).
+1 to this!! After some inconsistencies with pre-mixed priming solution I switched to the @TwistedGray carbonation method and never looked back. I've now switched to kegging my 5 gallon batches (usually closer to 6 gallons), but I still bottle a few including my 1 gallon test batches. It's quick, easy, and accurate.

I'm partial to the bucket-on-counter, strategically located over open dishwasher door on which bottles rest. For easier cleanup with inevitable overfill.
Me too. I run my bottles through the sanitize/heated dry cycle which takes about two hours, so I set it before I leave for work. I also boil up my priming solution, and sanitize my bottling bucket, siphon, and bottling cane at the same time. Then when I come home all I have to do is add the priming solution to the bucket, siphon in the beer on top of it, move the bucket to the counter above the dishwasher and drop the door. I can bottle a 5G batch in about 45 minutes as long as I've done the prep ahead of time. It takes almost as long to label them.

I guess I will add ... something I may change in the future is to write on the caps before capping the beers with them. I think that would be MUCH easier than writing post capping; although, I have yet to try it.

That ENTER key on your keyboard must be broken; you make consider going back and fixing that for paragraph breaks to make it easier to read. Just my 2c
How do you indent paragraphs on here? I tried copying from a Word document with an indent and it reformatted back to lining all up on the left.
I thought the person had about ten paragraphs though not indented. Are you saying to leave a space to denote paragraphs for ease of reading?
Thanks.

How do you indent paragraphs on here? I tried copying from a Word document with an indent and it reformatted back to lining all up on the left.

I thought the person had about ten paragraphs though not indented. Are you saying to leave a space to denote paragraphs for ease of reading?

Thanks.

^ Edited with "enter" key

All good advice.

I started out bottling and I absolutely hated it from day one. I stuck with it for a year than built my keezer and started kegging and never looked back.

Some people have no issues with bottling I just hated the time it took, the process and it seemed to never go right.

Bench cappers are way better then the wing cappers so try and find one of those. Williams Brewing in CA sells a nice one which is similar to the one i have.

As others have said, make sure you sanitize everything. Check out the priming sugar calculator and mix your solution, add to your bottling bucket then rack your beer on top of that.

I have added my bottles to my dishwasher and ran it on the sanitize cycle with no issues. Some also bake their bottles in the oven.

If you are going to soak your bottles in Starsan, get a big enough tote, add the starsan and bottles and just grab from that. Have someone who can cap after filling each bottle.
Good Luck!

before I leave for work...sanitize my bottling bucket, siphon, and bottling cane...when I come home all I have to do

FYI, StarSan is effective sanitizer only when wet. Once dry, anything floating through the air can settle on surface without fear of retribution.

That ENTER key on your keyboard must be broken; you make consider going back and fixing that for paragraph breaks to make it easier to read. Just my 2c
im so sorry, next time I'll make sure I ask you to edit my posts.

(I'll double space it for you on the old Enter button there, did you enjoy that?)

The OP asked about bottling advice.

I gave mine.

Maybe , next time you could just do like everyone else and pass on by if you don't like what someone posts.

BTW- there are different colored caps available to use to distinguish one beer from the next.

My $ 0.10 worth , keep the change ,ya filthy animal .

(edited because I forgot a couple commas and apostrophes)

Tips
1. Towel underneath your spigot
2. Have 52-55 bottles cleaned & ready to fill
3. To gauge carbonation - Fill 2 water bottles & squeeze the plastic in a little & cap...When the bottle is hard (expands) to the touch, you are close to the beer being fully carbonated..test the first, check carb level...wait a few more days, check the 2nd bottle.
Good luck & Cheers!

Instead of making a step of sanitizing the bottles, I use a vinator and fill one bottle with my right hand, while sanitizing the next with my left hand.

biggest thing I've learned was use a bottling bucket. especially if you're bottling with no help from anyone else.

first few bottling days, trying to bottle straight from the siphon was the most frustrating thing ever, especially when you get near the trub and have to restart the siphon. One day I was like F all that noise and was really considering kegging, till I saw people using bottling buckets on this site. I've been doing it ever since with no issues

There are two things I do that I don't see mentioned above. Since I don't label, I use a different color cap for each batch and record the color in the notes section of my brewing software.
Also I place a blank cap on each bottle as soon as it is filled (keeps out the fruit flies) then I cap them all at once when done filling.

2. Have 52-55 bottles cleaned & ready to fill
3. To gauge carbonation - Fill 2 water bottles & squeeze the plastic in a little & cap...When the bottle is hard (expands) to the touch, you are close to the beer being fully carbonated..test the first, check carb level...wait a few more days, check the 2nd bottle.
I do this as well. Peace of mind, and virtually eliminates the "hmm, I wonder if we have any carbonation" questions.

I haven't bottled in many years now. I always liked it, but I liked kegging better.

1. Elevate the bottling bucket, and attach the bottling wand with a short length of tube. Pull the bottle up into it, rather than pushing the wand down.

2. Have a large, flat, sturdy surface to set many bottles of full beer. Cap in batches. Batches of whatever makes sense for your space.

3. get some good music going, and have a few bottles of your previous brew (or store brew), and enjoy.

I haven't bottled in many years now. I always liked it, but I liked kegging better.

1. Elevate the bottling bucket, and attach the bottling wand with a short length of tube. Pull the bottle up into it, rather than pushing the wand down.

Curious as to why pull the bottle up to the wand?
Thanks.

I've only ever done 16oz flip tops (Grolsch bottles). It is quite possible that I would have declined the offer of the beer equipment I received years ago had I been told I would have to cap fifty-something beers.
Flip tops are quite convenient and there are fewer to fill compared to the 12oz bottles.

Back