First time altering a recipe, how's this look for an IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wookiemofo

Reaction score
This is based off of Dude's Lake Walk. I wanted to take it and punch up the bitterness/ABV to make it an IPA. Let me know what you think. Also added Citra based off of Dude's latest findings of running LWPA through a citra hop back

Est Original Gravity: 1.060
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.3 %
Bitterness: 60.7 IBU
Est Color: 10.1 SRM

10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
2 lbs 8.0 oz Victory Malt
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
8.0 oz Wheat, Flaked

1.00 oz Amarillo Boil 60.0
0.75 oz Amarillo Boil 20.0
0.75 oz Simcoe Boil 20.0
1.00 oz Amarillo Boil 5.0
1.00 oz Simcoe Boil 5.0
1.00 oz Citra Boil 0.0 min

1.00 oz Amarillo Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop
1.00 oz Simcoe Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop
1.00 oz Citra Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop

my best IPAs so far have had victory and simcoe in them ... that's going to be good beer IMO ... I'm new though ... so just a for what's it's worth comment ... cheers !!

Here's the changes I'd make:

1. Change the bittering addition to something else to save the Amarillo for what it's truly good at: Aroma/flavor. (I'd use something like Columbus, Magnum, etc)
2. Take the 1oz of Amarillo you would save and add half to the 20 minute and the 5 minute.
3. Save the Citra for another beer, Simcoe/Amarillo is a great combo on it's own, and since you'd only have KO and Dry Hop additions, I'd personally skip it. If you must keep the Citra in it, I'd split it between 20 and 5 minute additions and keep the dry hop.

Just my two pennies. The malt bill looks good. What yeast are you going to use?

Just the basic S-05. I brewed it up this afternoon. However, it's going to be... or at least I hope it becomes a staple recipe that I'll build upon.

I was kind of thinking the citra would just add a little more of an extra aroma punch. But you are right, simcoe and amarillo are perfect on their own.

Back