First Stir Plate Starter Question - No time to decant!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hokenfloken

Reaction score
I am brewing today. My starter is krausening away upstairs on my new stir plate. I've been reading various posts about decanting the liquid off the yeast cake after chilling. At this point, the yeast are still in suspension. I don't have time to chill and decant. I'm making an American Stout in a few hours. Does anyone think pitching the whole 2000ml starter will affect the flavor of such a big beer? The DME I used in the starter is the same DME I am using the up the gravity of the all-grain recipe (my mash tun is not big enough). Any thoughts on off-flavors would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot guys!

I think you will be fine for a stout. Chris White from White labs has said 2000 and under wouldn't show any flavor problems from this. Now I would never do this in a light colored beer but in your case you should be ok.

What are your thoughts on taking it off the stir plate, cooling it and pitching it cold? Would that be better than leaving it running on the stir plate until it's time to pitch?

Back