first starter wow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welderbydaybrewerbynight

Reaction score
I made my first starter last Tuesday after seeing so many on here saying how much they improve fermentation. I jave been brewing for a few years just lazy when it comes to the yeast aspect of brewing I guess. Brewed on Sunday and pitched my starter in there and let me say I have never had such a fast froming head of kraeusen. Now its 2 days later and the kraeusen has fallen completely out and I'm only 4 points a way from my fg on a milk oatmeal stout og was 1.060. Thanks all for hounding on the starters for liquid yeast what a difference.

Making a starter was one of the best improvements to my beer to date. Not only does it improve lag time, but it can really improve flavor by reducing by products.

Congrats on your first!

I'm gonna try my first starter on EdWort's Bavarian Hef today. I am pretty excited I must say!

I'm with the OP. I didn't do starters for the first 12-14 batches I made (lazy? learning other stuff? dunno!) but once I did I swore I'd never go without one again. Such a positive difference in fermentation and flavor :)

I'm with the OP. I didn't do starters for the first 12-14 batches I made (lazy? learning other stuff? dunno!) but once I did I swore I'd never go without one again. Such a positive difference in fermentation and flavor :)

I've brewed somewhere around 10 to 12 batches myself and I've never used a starter either. I made up a starter last night for the first time and am going to brew this weekend and pitch it. :rockin:

Back