First Sour Project / Reusing Cherry Wit Yeast Cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

First post, hope this is in the right spot...

Looking for some advice / suggestions from people with a bit more experience with sours / wild ales etc. Just brewed a Belgian Wit, killer beer (brewed before) - it's secondaried with whole fresh cherries. In the past due to all the fruit trub, I've tossed the yeast cake after bottling this beer. I've heard of some brewery's reusing fruit in secondary and I'd like to do something similar.

Recently turned on to sours but also been a fan of saisons, Belgians & wilder style brews for a while and having a bit more brewing confidence, I'd like to put that Cherry / Yeasty goodness to good use. I was thinking of doing something along the lines of the following:

Basic grain bill maybe 60%Pilsner/40%Wheat.
Mash quite high, to generate more complex sugars for a wild blend / Brett to munch trough.
Kettle souring - I'd like to but no way of maintaining temp required overnight.
Pitching onto Cherry / WLP400 yeast cake.
3/4 days into fermentation - add a sour / wild culture or blend.

I know the WLP400 is in good condition, after a slow start, it fermented well and there was strong secondary fermentation after racking on to the cherries - so I have no doubt it will get things started!

I'm happy to either do a relatively short fermentation (1-3months) or something longer (6-12months.) Things I've considered already:

Brett Lambicus / Brux (from previous batch)
Yeast Bay Sour Melange or WLP Sour Mix
Rosalaire Blend

Looking to create something tart and funky any suggestions/ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Jon

Back